Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a month ago, I found out that my car, 01 ZX3, has two mufflers; One in the middle of the car and one at the tail.

First off, why?

And, can one of these be removed and replaced by straight pipes to make it sound any better? I know it won't affect performance much. I also live in California so my car has to be good with CARB emission standards.

I'd prefer to cut off the rear one rather than the one in the center since it'd be an easier DIY.

I tried google but all I could find was people talking about dual exhausts and having two mufflers that way.

I know that the Maganaflow Cat-Back for the ZX3 only has one muffler and the tail is just a straight pipe so would it be the same deal?

I'm also open to suggestions for a clamp-on muffler that will fit with no modifications other than cutting the old one off.

Sorry if it's a little unclear but any help is appreciated!!

[ffrocks]

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
The end muffler is a resonator also called the lunch box. It is very common to delete this.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The end muffler is a resonator also called the lunch box. It is very common to delete this.
I see I see. So I could just smack it off and put a straight pipe. Flex pipes are illegal, I believe, in CA. Would be super loud or sound good?
I have the full Magnaflow exhaust system and will never replace it sound's good and perform well.
I'm broke dude. Lol my resonator is rusted too so it'd be nice to get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
C'mon, you didn't see micah's exh.?

Lunchbox delete was even done by Ford for the earlier ST model, adds a slightly louder tone - removes some weight - minimal restriction reduction.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
C'mon, you didn't see micah's exh.?

Lunchbox delete was even done by Ford for the earlier ST model, adds a slightly louder tone - removes some weight - minimal restriction reduction.
Haha his dryer hose exhaust. I was really just worried about CA emmisions and everything. I don't wanna cut it off and deal with a fix-it later. Since its not that much louder I guess its all good.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Save the old one if you're worried about a ticket for non-stock. You could use a sleeve & a couple clamps to put it on again.

Doesn't change emissions, just noise a bit.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll do what I did when I installed the bull bar on the Jeep. Kitchen knives. Broke one but got that thing on there. Of course then I was cutting plastic.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Save the old one if you're worried about a ticket for non-stock. You could use a sleeve & a couple clamps to put it on again.

Doesn't change emissions, just noise a bit.
Hose Clamps...

I would keep the old one just in case, you never know what might happen.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
CAT Back have nothing to do with the emissions of a vehicle I believe they are CARB exempt due to that nature and you don't have to have a CARB sticker on it.

There are legality about the length and use of flex pipe. it varies by location but usually it limits the length and location it can be used. less than $30 at an exhaust shop should be able to get you a steel pipe of the right diameter bent for what you need. if its 2" normal steel stock the shop will have it in plenty and the bends are easy so should take only a few min.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CAT Back have nothing to do with the emissions of a vehicle I believe they are CARB exempt due to that nature and you don't have to have a CARB sticker on it.

There are legality about the length and use of flex pipe. it varies by location but usually it limits the length and location it can be used. less than $30 at an exhaust shop should be able to get you a steel pipe of the right diameter bent for what you need. if its 2" normal steel stock the shop will have it in plenty and the bends are easy so should take only a few min.
Cat backs are legal but flex pipes and muffler deletes aren't. Your exhaust should also not increase 95db but you can't really calculate db by ear. If the resonator isn't considered a muffler by CA law then the delete should be free. I'm almost sure it's not because the cat backs don't have a res. I'm hoping to go to a shop today and see what they've got. It'd be best if they could also do a cheap weld. It'd be better than clamps.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Cat backs are legal but flex pipes and muffler deletes aren't. Your exhaust should also not increase 95db but you can't really calculate db by ear. If the resonator isn't considered a muffler by CA law then the delete should be free. I'm almost sure it's not because the cat backs don't have a res. I'm hoping to go to a shop today and see what they've got. It'd be best if they could also do a cheap weld. It'd be better than clamps.
The resonator is a type of muffler, not saying you can't take it off. Welding is for sure better the clamps.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
welding is better, however a correctly sized clamp on a steel exhaust can be just as effective. welding can be done at the exhaust shop likely wont charge you more, they may charge you if you want to keep a hanger point.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went to a few shops. Midas wants to charge me 100 for install and pipes which is too much. Another shop said that it won't give me the results unless I delete both mufflers and they had a reasonable price for that, but CA law won't let me. I can get a performance muffler installed for about 50 bucks.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
^^ what are you "looking" for? will it give you any HP increase? no. Will it make the sound different? Yes. what are you looking for? they likely were just wanting to up sale you on stuff so they were telling you it wont do what you want. ask them how much to do the work I just asked for nothing else.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm mainly just looking for sound. The guy who said it won't do much for sound is a friend so he's not one to try and rip me off. He'd have me bring in my own parts as well and charge me low for labor. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and ask about sticking a glass pack in the mid muffler and see how much that would be.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Many people have removed it for sound (it was modified / deleted on the SVT) there are many YouTube videos that show the before and after. check to see for your self. it makes a difference. You may just not think its enough or your friend may just know you would want more.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The videos give a nice tone. Its got all the nice crackle and pop. Its missing that deep low freqency though. Still a nice sound. Tempting. How much does piping usually cost?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts