Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using 15w-50 with mobil 1 gold cap.

I am interested in switching over to AMSOIL. Can I use 5w-30 or 10w-30 seeing that the oil is superior to the Mobil 1 stuff.

I always feel like the 15w-50 is too thick for the car not that i've had any problems with it at all.

What do you think?

Leave the 15w-50 in or switch over to a better lighter oil?

·
Registered
287 Posts
15w-50? What are you doing an endurance race through death valley? That's pretty far past factory spec and I would be worried about my engine running that thick of an oil. Amsoil is very good company and from what I read you can go 20,000 miles without an oil change using their oil and filter though their products do cost a little more than the competitors. So the answer is yes, run a lighter oil. Turbos like synthetic and I will almost guarantee you'll feel the difference in the response from your engine. As far weight goes, I run 5w-20 but it's personal preference on what you want run as I've seen people with 0w-20 to 10w-30 and be just fine.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
You can run Amsoil's full synthetic 5w-30 that formulated with daily driving in mind on high mileage engines. Combine this with one of Amsoil's EA series filters and you will surpass your regular oil change interval by thousands of miles.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes, we offer some great options for you!

Signature Series 0W-30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil

AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil

AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil

AMSOIL Extended Life 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil

AMSOIL Extended Life 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

If you'd like to become a preferred customer and receive all of AMSOIL's wholesale pricing, similar to BJ's or Costco for an annual membership of $20 (or half a year for $10). It is much like BJ's or Costco wholesale shopping, where you pay a membership fee to get the discount.

In just buying a couple filters and oil you'll realize the savings and still be able to get lube and other AMSOIL products for your friends and family at wholesale.

If you'd like to sign up for that you can use this link: SIGN UP HERE.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
how long do you guys usually leave you amsoil synthetic in your car before you change it?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
^^ haha thanks for the ads, Brian [hihi]

I'll probably run amsoil when I build the new engine. I can't remember what I run though... it's either 5W 30, or 10W 30.....

·
Registered
597 Posts
how long do you guys usually leave you amsoil synthetic in your car before you change it?
The Signature Series is warrantied for 25k, although it has been tested fine for 35k normal operation.[headbang]

The key is using the new Ea nanofiber oil filters with these that are warrantied for 25k operation, where other typical filters would fail in the short term.

But I'd say for the typical enthusiast who is really driving their car spiritedly, a 10k mi. change would be good. And then you can have an oil sample tested periodically after that.

-Brian[thumb]

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
double post

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So ditch the 15-50 and go with 10w-30? I want to still protect my engine, but I would like a lighter oil. I wonder if my gas milage would go up a little too because I notice that with the heavy stuff my gas milage is not that good.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
^^ definitely........

the manufacturers use the lightest possible oil when they get their mpg ratings done to meet CAFE specs, just an FYI. [thumb]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What oil are you guys running in your turboed focus? example 5w-30...

I am currently boosting 12psi.

I may make a phone call tomorrow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts