Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch HE 12" sub, and Its rated at 200 watts rms. I am looking for an amplifier to power it, but I don't know what to get. Does anyone have any suggestions on brands. I was looking at a Rockford Fosgate mono amplifier, but also a Alpine 2 channel amp. If anyone has had experiance w/ the 2 brands, let me know what u think of them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i am a fan of profile amps myself. i have had a few and have never had any problems. watts to dollar i dont think you can get a better amp. I had the profile CA400 for my rockford HE2 in my first car, and it pounded real nice like. Rated at 300x1 RMS @4 ohms, so it is a little higher then you can handle, just keep the gain down fits perfectly in your range.It is a nice unit. And the Amp is only like 80$ if you shop around a bit. Hell, ill give you the link, because im a nice guy. https://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1179

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
my oppinion of profile amps are that they arne't bad quality or anything but they aren't acuratly rated. i have a profile ca400 on two pioneer speakers in another car and it's not the greatest but it works. if you want some real clean power for cheap look at soundstream amps at millionbuy.com and us acoustic amps. ebay is also a good place to buy form if you are cautious. by the way, is your sub svc or dvc (single or dual voice coil)?

- Scott

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I personaly like the rockfords, I went through a lot of amps in my day and of all the brands I've had the rockford was the best over all. The soundstream amps are also good. One thing to watch for with the rockfords is they are always underrated. If their 200x200 watts then that's what they run under normal settings, if you crank the gain on it it'll push more then 200. They're one of the only amps that I have seen that are like that, unless you go real high end stuff.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
alot of companies rate their amps at parameters that can't be acheived. such as a pyramid amp wired down to .5 ohms saying it can put out 1200 rms when it can actualy only do about 100 watts rms. or suppling a voltage that isn't possible in a car. look at the THD % also, if the THD is over 1% then it is audiable distortion, the lower, the better, with those rockfords with the gains turned all the way up msot of the time it will be clipped, which causes distortion that decreases the life of the speaker and amp itself. also, companies like mtx post rating that are dynamic or peak, not rms. mtx is very good at not putting rms specs on their amps, if you go to almost any website selling thier stuff, they will rate their stuff very oddly, sometimes they'll rate a 2 channel amp at 12.9v for so many watts using both channels and then rate their mono or bridged specs at 14.4v and at dynamic power. about kicker amps, i've heard good from most of them but in my opinion, i woulnd't pay that much when you can get the same quality out of a amp that is 15% or 20% less than the kicker amp.

- Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts