Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've installed some subs in my zx3 and Im having a strange problem. The amp will randomly go in and out of protect mode while im driving and if i turn my volume up too loud. Ive messed around with settins on my head unit, and on the amp but I cant seem to get it fixed. Im almost positive its the ground, which i currently have on the screw thats in the same area that the back seat latches. Any ideas? People with zx3's, where do you have your amp grounded?

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
maul said:
Hey guys, I've installed some subs in my zx3 and Im having a strange problem. The amp will randomly go in and out of protect mode while im driving and if i turn my volume up too loud. Ive messed around with settins on my head unit, and on the amp but I cant seem to get it fixed. Im almost positive its the ground, which i currently have on the screw thats in the same area that the back seat latches. Any ideas? People with zx3's, where do you have your amp grounded?

Check your ground. Make sure that you have a good contact with bare metal.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
i grounded mine under the rear seats that fold up, i drilled, then sanded it down to bare metal and then screwed it in as hard as i could. what amp and subs are they and what impedance are the subs? and how are they wired? it could possibly be wired too low of an impedance, causing it to overheat, or it could just be overheating because of how it is mounted. how did you mount it? does it get enough air?

- Scott

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and can anyone tell me what size the speakers are for both front and back of a zx3?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so would i get 5-1/4" speakers for the front, and 6x9 for the back? or do i have to find specific sizes a place like bestbuy wont have?

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
1) are there binding posts (where you connect to wires to the box) for each sub or just one? and do you have a model number on that jensen?

2) you can fit any speaker size you want basically, either way you may have to get an adapter plate for the fronts so the magnet clears the window so the window can go up and down. all you need it to use a jigsaw to cut a peice of wood (the denser wood that you can get the better for less vibration/resonating) that is about 3/4" high to fit the 6x9 or whatever hole and then cut the inside of that to the size of the speaker you want, so you can fit anything from 6.5" speakers to componets with a tweeter next to it, to 4" etc etc.

- Scott

·
Registered
294 Posts
i work with a few kids that "think" they can build systems.. basically throw any subs with any amp and wonder why things go wrong.. no clue on ohms and how many different ways they can be wired.. wonder why my one 12 stomps there dual 12's.. kids.. [headbang] [hihi] [headbang]

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is a set of binding posts for each sub on the box. ill take a pic of how i have it wired, and ill grab that model number while im at it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and can someone recommend some good speakers to replace my factory ones. preferably that i can pick up at a retail store like bestbuy or hhgregg.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
if there are binding posts for each one then you should wire each sub (pos and neg posts) to one channel and the other to the other channel (you said it was a two channnel amp right?) if you have them brdiged to one channel you need to have it wired for 8 ohms, seen here: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard/index.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp=Single+Voice+Coil+-+4+ohms&image.x=15&image.y=5 NOT 2 ohms, because this would make it have excessive damaging heat that could turn it off or kill your amp and distort your speakers, possibly damaging them also.

for replacement speakers from a large retail store your not going to get the the best brands for the best price, expect to pay almost double at best buy for most of their stuff compared to buying ebay or www.ikesound.com or www.thezeb.com , if your going to get speakers from a sotre like taht with those type of brands i'd suggest infinity, they make some great speakers, or possibly some polks may work for you. i'd stay away from any rockford fosgate, blaupunkt, and audiobahn. but leave it to your ears, they should be the final judge.

- Scott

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I currently have it wired like #1 on that rockford fosgate page. I need to have it wired as shown in the second diagram? whats the difference? it seems like they are saying you can do either or

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh, and would you recommend 2-way or 3-way speakers? and will I need any extra wiring/hardware to install them (that is, if i get the size that fits and wont need a bracket)?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts