Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't believe this, I have a 4 gauge wire hooked up. My inline 100amp fuse blew.. Ok so I replace it. But now my amp is not working.

BUT lets get to the problem at hand

This car has a starnge current.

#sparks fly on amp when we hook it up with out car power on. Pull fuse out... attach it... place fuse back in, it blows as we put it in. Amp now does not work, think amp is fuses are dead.

sorry if it makes no sense.. im tired. im just wondering if anyone knows of any focus problems with systems. This amp seems to be gettin weird power surges. I killed 800watt rms subs with a 450rms amp?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
your amp should be working just fine.
The sparks are normal occurances when dealing with High current with little to no resistance. Just like how you unhook the (-) on the car battery then it makes a spark when you connect it back on.

To sum it up: If the 100A fuse keeps blowing, the Power cord has been shorted. Check your cable run, and make sure there is no damage done to the wire.

At least this is the conclusion I've gathered.

·
Registered
228 Posts
niccuh said:
I don't believe this, I have a 4 gauge wire hooked up. My inline 100amp fuse blew.. Ok so I replace it. But now my amp is not working.

BUT lets get to the problem at hand

This car has a starnge current.

#sparks fly on amp when we hook it up with out car power on. Pull fuse out... attach it... place fuse back in, it blows as we put it in. Amp now does not work, think amp is fuses are dead.

sorry if it makes no sense.. im tired. im just wondering if anyone knows of any focus problems with systems. This amp seems to be gettin weird power surges. I killed 800watt rms subs with a 450rms amp?
If the fuse blows right when you put it in, it does sound like a dead short in the power cable. If the fuse blows when you turn on the amp, sounds like a shorted power supply.

You can blow 800 watt subs with 20 watts of distortion. It's not the power that kills, it's the distortion.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i know this is the last thing that u want to here but some times the best thing to do is to pull everything out and install it again

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
svtguy21 said:
i know this is the last thing that u want to here but some times the best thing to do is to pull everything out and install it again
I just re did it. :(, I had an 8 gauge wire originally. The dude who helped me do it cut it at one point so we could run it better. Then he connected the wire back together and taped it. I think that could be how I blew the first amp I had and how I blew 4 subs.

But as of right now, I think I'm gonna check the amp fuses when it stops raining and go from there.

·
Registered
563 Posts
You never want to splice power wire, it will never be able to carry the amount of current it normally would. You blow subwoofers by DISTORTION. You had the gain turned up too high, that is why you blew 4 subs. The gain is not a volume know. It needs to be correctly set once and never touched again. Having the gain set too high not only damages your subs, but your amp as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts