Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a nakamichi HU, a pair of MB Quart pce-216's up front and a polk momo 10" sub in the focus. Now my problem is that the amp will go into protect mode at random times. The first day I put my sub in it was fine the whole day. The next day it cut off after 10 minutes and then came back on. The next day it lasted all day then cut off at night (this one was cause due to the ground being lose at the back of the amp) but then i wired it all back up, and on the 10 min ride home it did it again, just to come back on in a min. Then today, on the way to work, it cut off and immediatly ame back on, but this happened twice, both on deceleration coasting in neutral.

I have narrowed it down to three possibilities.(1) Bad ground from amp (its kind of a wack ground job i did)
(2) amps going bad
(3) bad ohm load causing protect (this because its only been going like this since adding the sub) I have an autotek amp thats in the 640watt range (not exactly sure) its a 2/4 channel and now i have it running in 4 channel with the front two powering the mb's and the rear 2 running the polk (i have the rear two bridged). Do you think this would cause a bad ohm load? If so, could i just hook up both channels (3/4) and then run them together into the sub. Would that make a difference at all in the ohm load

Any help would be appreciated. I really just want to be reassured that my amp isnt on the fritz lol. Thanks in advance all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh, and to explain the crappy grounding job, the wire ended up being babout 7-8' and just loosely secured into place. Could this possibly be the problem. I allways heard the ground should be around 1'....just curious.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
f

Any other thoughts...or words of reassurance that my amp isnt on its way out lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have been getting the same problems with my amp. I thought it was sub, so i changed from a 12'' Audiobahn, with a crappy 10'' JBL. It seems to working fine know, but i dont want to stick to the JBL, I WANT MY AUDIOBAHN!

·
Registered
563 Posts
People don't seem to understand exactly how important the ground wire is. It is just as important as the power wire, if not more so. You MUST have a great ground for a system to work properly. Keep the ground wire under 18", sand the spot, then use a self tapping screw and a lock washer, and put a ring terminal on the ground wire.

I can almost guarentee it is your ground.

·
Registered
563 Posts
iceman4386 said:
i have been getting the same problems with my amp. I thought it was sub, so i changed from a 12'' Audiobahn, with a crappy 10'' JBL. It seems to working fine know, but i dont want to stick to the JBL, I WANT MY AUDIOBAHN!
PSST, Audiobahn is even worse then JBL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts