Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi FocusFanatics,

I am trying to run an amp power cable through the wiring grommet on the passenger side of the engine bay. The problem I am having is that I can't seem to pierce through the grommet. I'm not sure what its construction of the grommet is but it is very resistant to having anything pushed through it. I have been trying to cut a hole with a utility knife on the side of the grommet but this seems futile as it just produces a fabric-like material. What's the best way to get through this grommet?

The second problem I've encountered is that behind the glove box there seems to be an inch layer of insulating fabric material. This makes it hard to pinpoint the location of the grommet on the inside of the vehicle. Can anyone guide me to the approximate position of the grommet behind the glove box and how I should go about getting the wire on the other side of the insulation?

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
A screwdriver pushed through first can be your friend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used the same grommet for a 1/0 power cable. To cut through, I made an X in approximately the same spot on both sides of the grommet ( engine bay, interior) with a utility knife. Then taped the power wire to a screwdriver and pulled the screwdriver through the X. The insulation has a square area that can be pulled back to reveal the grommet. I found that it is much easier to do this if you remove the glove compartment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts