Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 Focus and was wondering where to take the power wire through the firewall at???? Anyone have any recommendations other than around the door jamb?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
if your car is an automatic take a look where the clutch pedal would be? should be plastic and you can easily drill thru that

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have the 09 stick SES and I just attached a stinger to the end of the cable and carefully pushed it through the rubber grommet/ gasket for the wiring harness. If you need more detail let me know.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have the 09 stick SES and I just attached a stinger to the end of the cable and carefully pushed it through the rubber grommet/ gasket for the wiring harness. If you need more detail let me know.
X2, depending what gauge your running that's what I did for another member's '08 Focus. Please whatever you do, DO NOT run it thru the door jamb, talk about dangerous as hell!

·
Registered
3 Posts
To the guys who have run their power wires through the factory grommet and gasket. I was wondering if you guys could post a pic to show exactly where it is in the footwell and another pic to where it goes out in the engine compartment. That would be super helpful since i'm gonna be doing my first install pretty soon.
THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
Registered
206 Posts
To the guys who have run their power wires through the factory grommet and gasket. I was wondering if you guys could post a pic to show exactly where it is in the footwell and another pic to where it goes out in the engine compartment. That would be super helpful since i'm gonna be doing my first install pretty soon.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Man, that would help so much. I am in the same boat. I have a manual 2003. I don't know where to drill and I can't seem to find an available grommet. Thanks in advance for any help at all!

·
Registered
296 Posts
ill try to get pics up here today. not exactly sure how to get them on here

·
Registered
0 Posts
Why is it dangerous to run it through the door jam?

Is this the door jam way?

http://www.jwardell.com/focus/amp.html
It's not dangerous as long as you never open your door again.

Now the way quoted is another way of doing it and only works for smaller gauge wires, pretty much under 10AWG. Now there is a flaw to that how-to, you should never run it near where the hood hinge is due to the wire tends to get pinch and obviously you know what could happen from there.

Honestly, spend the 20 minutes and run it thru where the grommet is under the dash for the bundle of wires, if you open your door all the way, get under your dash and look up with a flashlight, it should be located about 8 inches from the side of your car. It's impossible to miss.

Another way to run the cable, and I've done this on an 08 is to run it thru the gap where your steering column goes thru. There is a foam gasket between the firewall and the plastic cone for the steering columm that you can squeeze at least a 4AWG wire thru. Yes it may take 20 minutes but it's able too be done easily.

·
Registered
296 Posts
In any case id start the wiring from the engine bay.

1. Turn your wheels hard right and then remove the 5 fastners that hold the back half of the plastic wheel well in.

2. Work the loose half of the wheel well down against the tire so you can access the wiring harness.

3. Feed your power wire down behind the Fuse box and beside the shock tower and down to the ground so there is slack.

4. Make a stinger out of 5"-6" of coat hanger and tape to your power wire. (if you have a bench grinder it makes it easier if you put a point on the end of the coat hanger)

5. VERY CAREFULLY push the stinger through the grommet until it comes into the cabin. Then grab a hold of it and pull it through.

you can see my wire on the top of the wire harness.

Hope this helps and i hope that these pics worked.

Reactions: Focorec

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks stangbanger awesome post with directions and pics. now i'm ready to dive into my first install. mods should sticky this or something i def know people would appreciate having this info/how to.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Bump

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
JEEBUS!

Go get a 1/2" rubber grommet, 1/2" hole saw and some good silicone and, drill a friggin hole right below where the hood release cable goes through the firewall(there is a brake booster to the right of it-DO NOT DRILL THERE). Take a screwdriver and poke it through the hole and outside firewall covering. Put the grommet in said hole in firewall then push the power wire through to the engine bay(you may want to move the outside fuse box a little). Make sure that you have plenty of wire(you can trim it down later, better too much than not enough)to reach the battery. Then seal up the wire and grommet in the firewall with a good amount of silicone(no leaks this way).

My whole point here is, K.I.S.S(keep it simple stupid).

If you end up in a front side impact, you will have nothing to worry about.

This is the correct way to do it if you have no other firewall grommet to use.[thankyou][:0]

Good luck with the install

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
JEEBUS!

Go get a 1/2" rubber grommet, 1/2" hole saw and some good silicone and, drill a friggin hole right below where the hood release cable goes through the firewall(there is a brake booster to the right of it-DO NOT DRILL THERE). Take a screwdriver and poke it through the hole and outside firewall covering. Put the grommet in said hole in firewall then push the power wire through to the engine bay(you may want to move the outside fuse box a little). Make sure that you have plenty of wire(you can trim it down later, better too much than not enough)to reach the battery. Then seal up the wire and grommet in the firewall with a good amount of silicone(no leaks this way).

My whole point here is, K.I.S.S(keep it simple stupid).

If you end up in a front side impact, you will have nothing to worry about.

This is the correct way to do it if you have no other firewall grommet to use.[thankyou][:0]

Good luck with the install
What gauge of wire are you using?

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Why is it dangerous to run it through the door jam?

Is this the door jam way?

http://www.jwardell.com/focus/amp.html
why?

because if the door strips away any of the insulation on the wire, and the copper which is carrying current touches any metal on the body(which the metal on the body is technically a ground) it will weld itself to the car, and catch fire

so moral of the story is, dont half ass things or you will eventually pay the price

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did this method when running my amp line. Im experiencing my drivers side floor being soaking wet. The front and back anyone else have this problem? Just trying to rule some things out i dont think it is because running the line.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts