·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alpine MRP-F300
4 channel, 50 Watts RMS per channel

4 Pioneer TS-A6881R (50 Watts RMS each)
1 Rockford Fosgate 10" sub (150W RMS)

Ok - the 4 Pioneer speakers are wired in parallel to channels 1 and 2. Having them wired in series did not work out so great.

The sub is bridged on channels 3 and 4.

I have no gain on the Pioneers, and a little bit on the sub (any less would just not sound good).

The amp overheats and goes into protection when I push it (not necessarily at max).

I re-grounded on a bare metal spot and the problem continues. Connections have been re-checked.

The system sounds fantastic until it gets hot. [:(]

I'm bummed because this happens pretty quick - within my 20 minute commute.

I am not good at the sound math with ohms and whatnot. I originally bought this amp and the 4 speakers that I felt were perfectly matched up (and I think that decision is still valid) but once I realized that 6x8 speakers cannot handle respectable bass for any kind of music I decided to add a sub.

I think I'm pushing this amp beyond what it can do - by having 4 speakers on 2 channels plus the sub.

Can anyone back me up? I am wondering if the Alpine MRP-F600 would have been better.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
776 Posts
u may be running a lower ohm than what the amp can handle. My advice is get another amp specifically for the sub, and run the doors off of the amp u have

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
sounds like your trying to draw too much power out of the amp

keep your 4-channel, and buy an amp for your sub and you wont have any problems

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Alpine MRP-F300
4 channel, 50 Watts RMS per channel

4 Pioneer TS-A6881R (50 Watts RMS each)
1 Rockford Fosgate 10" sub (150W RMS)

Ok - the 4 Pioneer speakers are wired in parallel to channels 1 and 2. Having them wired in series did not work out so great.

The sub is bridged on channels 3 and 4.

I have no gain on the Pioneers, and a little bit on the sub (any less would just not sound good).

The amp overheats and goes into protection when I push it (not necessarily at max).

I re-grounded on a bare metal spot and the problem continues. Connections have been re-checked.

The system sounds fantastic until it gets hot. [:(]

I'm bummed because this happens pretty quick - within my 20 minute commute.

I am not good at the sound math with ohms and whatnot. I originally bought this amp and the 4 speakers that I felt were perfectly matched up (and I think that decision is still valid) but once I realized that 6x8 speakers cannot handle respectable bass for any kind of music I decided to add a sub.

I think I'm pushing this amp beyond what it can do - by having 4 speakers on 2 channels plus the sub.

Can anyone back me up? I am wondering if the Alpine MRP-F600 would have been better.

Thoughts?
Well I have placed an order for an Alpine MRP-M500 to drive the sub. I hope the install goes smooth. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts