Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how to wire my amp so that I have the ability to turn my subwoofers on and off from a switch. On my amp, the plugins say +12V, REM, GND. I know how to wire everything else but just need to know how to aire the switch from the amp. The switch I have has 3 prongs that say, ACC, PWR, GND. Thanks

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
get a standard, two wire on off switch, then use the power on it for the remote wire, and wire that inline with the remote wire going from the deck to the amp, then ground the switch, and your all set

not too sure how to run the three wire switch, im sure it can be done, but might as well just go and spend another dollar or two and get the two wire switch

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mmm my friend did this because his stereos remote wire was broke. Hook up the amp like normal on everything except the remote wire. Run a power source to the switch and then run a wire from the switch to the amps remote wire hook up. So your remote wire wont be going to the stereo but to the switch. Then you'll be able to turn them on and off with a switch.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
i used a lighted switch for my amp like the 1 in the picture ...it lights up so its easy to find at night...i love having a switch on my subs...becuse its just too much at times ..it was real simple to hook up...wire in from cd player out to amp and grounded for the LED

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just use the amp power wire coming fron the head unit. Run it to the switch then run it to the amp. Also ground out the switch and that should take care of it. You can run it to the power or acc side then just test it to make sure it switches on when in the on position. If no swap the wires

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about using the +12V port on the amp with the remote port on the amp? Running a wire from the +12V port and the remote port, but the +12V would already have the wire from the battery in it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
i wanna do it too..but i was thinking of putting a switch on the power wire from the battery to the amp? no?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
No. Just get a two prong on off switch, and wire it up to the power control. That is the way to do it. Amp is on, it draws power, amp is off, no power is being drawn from the battery. Put it on the power control wire. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
889 Posts
yup.. that makes it way easier, coz all wires are very tight and dont have enough, so have to add some, power wire is just a regular speaker wire right? like nothing thick?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
dont run a wire right from the battery. if you run it from the HU or other sourse that is only live when the ignition is on than you wont have to worry about it being left on

·
Registered
963 Posts
Dude your best bet and easiest bet is to cut your remote wire and use a 2 prong switch and just use it to interupt the remote turn on tothe amp. Plain and simple I have done this in all my setups(except this one i just put in....too lazy!) takes bout 15 minutes to do and works like a charm!

·
Registered
889 Posts
dont run a wire right from the battery. if you run it from the HU or other sourse that is only live when the ignition is on than you wont have to worry about it being left on
it doesnt matter if i leave it on, coz amp is always connected to constant 12v without any switches..

·
Registered
459 Posts
it doesnt matter if i leave it on, coz amp is always connected to constant 12v without any switches..
Correct, the amp IS always connected via large gauge wire. You sir, are right on the head with that one. HOWEVER; it's the remote wire that actually turns the amp on. With no power going to the remote terminal, that amp will draw NOTHING through the main power wire. So, it does matter if you wire the remote from the battery and leave the switch on. Your amp will stay on, and drain your battery. As previously stated, run the remote wire from either the remote turn on lead from the head unit, or if it's a factory deck, run it from the fused side of the radio or accessory terminal in the fuse box, and then to your switch, then to the amp. Even if you leave the switch on, the amp will turn off when you turn the key off. Some people just over-analyze things and make it MUCH MUCH more difficult than it really is!

·
Registered
459 Posts
disreguard, double post.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So i can use the amp turn on wire from my deck which is not being used to get the power to the switch? correct?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So i can use the amp turn on wire from my deck which is not being used to get the power to the switch? correct?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts