Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this might be the best American car I have driven but my question is if this is really an American car? From what I can tell the body was nailed together in Mexico and most the rest was done in Germany, I thought for a while it had a Ford engine tuned in the UK but now if I understand correct its a Mazda engine tuned in the UK.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Zetec in the Focus is a Ford engine with Cosworth engineered variations.

The later Duratec is the Mazda/Yamaha creation. (BTW - Ford owned a large stake in Mazda at the time)

American Focus models were initially produced/assembled in Mexico, and production was soon moved to the US. (Can't recall the year offhand, probably by the start of SVT production here.)

Lots of parts from all over the World, and production all over as well.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
Wasn't the chassis originally designed in Germany or somewhere Europe?

Maybe you got confused because they call the SVT/ST170 a "Duratec" for some odd reason in Europe, but regular Zetecs are still a Zetec. If memory serves me...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never heard the chassis part till now, not sure on that..

I have a 1 ton Chev truck and a e350 ford td, both great trucks but when ever I think of American cars the Chrysler laberon comes to mind.... That's normally a sad moment in a patriotic way

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'd just go with the logic we are an American car. Accords are JDM and Civic are also right? Well they're made in America.... Only problem with the SVT vs other Foci is the roots. So it all depends on how you want to look at it anyone that knows something about cars will understand our Getreg tranny Cosworth design. Specially WRG/C fans.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Where does the company send the bulk of the profits? That for me is the deciding factor. I don't care if Toyota employs a few hundred factory workers, still foreign, although they would like us to believe otherwise.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Where does the company send the bulk of the profits? That for me is the deciding factor. I don't care if Toyota employs a few hundred factory workers, still foreign, although they would like us to believe otherwise.
All major corporations are multi-nationals.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2003 Focus SVT was built in Hermosillo Mexico. The now defunct Compact Sport Car magazine did a write up about it YEARS ago, where they actually did a tour of the plant. Yes, many parts came in from other countries/locations and then was assembled there.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
My 2003 Focus SVT was built in Hermosillo Mexico. The now defunct Compact Sport Car magazine did a write up about it YEARS ago, where they actually did a tour of the plant. Yes, many parts came in from other countries/locations and then was assembled there.
Yea, my car was assembled in Mexico, w/ a motor build in Spain & a trans build in Germany & designed in Europe. I'm good w/ that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I keep hearing about parts in other countries but have still not heard about any US parts except for maybe the engine block? I did finally run mine 100 plus miles up the Clackamas river canyon last weekend for the first time, I did not end up in the river or backwards against a tree so I'm assuming the suspension was not put together in the states.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts