Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I was looking into a new MB+CPU+MEM combo and was wondering if you guys could help me out. First..the new AMD designations i.e. XP 3000+, 64 2800 are those their speed designations (Pentium equivalents). I was looking into either the Celeron D 340 2.93, the Sempron 2800/XP 2800 or better or the Pentium 4 2.6. Or maybe you all have a better suggestion, keep in mind their cost to performance value.

P.S. Although they are probably bad-ass, don't suggest the FX-55, Opteron, P4 Extreme or some crazy expensive processor like that because the price is too high. Just something good for gaming that will last a good while before it is outdated.

Thanks

·
Registered
663 Posts
First off, stay away from a Celeron if at all possible if you're going to be using it for games. Second, yes, the XP 3000+ and 64 2800+ are equivalent speed designations to match up performance to a P4 processor. The 3000+ I would reccomend actually runs at 1.8GHz, but will beat most P4 processors in game performance.

CPU - Athlon 64 3000+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537

Some people might not think it's a good idea to get a 64-bit processor now but to wait until 64-bit is more widespread before getting one. Personally, i stopped listening to them after I plugged mine in and saw what they can do. $146 (currently) is a pretty damn good price for that processor. It will also run any 32-bit program, you know, any Windows program out there.

Mobo - MSI K8N Neo4-F http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130491

This has the nForce 4 chipset which is the big thing now for AMD motherboards. It doesn't have the SLI option (linking 2 video cards to run as one), but that keeps the price down and might be out of your price range anyway. MSI makes really good stuff, too. $84 (currently) is pretty good for that motherboard. Just watch out that it needs a PCI-Express video card instead of AGP. There are no AGP slots on it. There used to be a price premium on the PCI-E, but not anymore.

Memory - mushkin value (1GB) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146299

A friend of mine (IT guy at work) built his computer with mushikn memory. I never heard of it, but he has no problems with it. I wouldn't go under 1GB for memory. It's pretty cheap ($80), so I think this is a good fit. Side note on memory; AMD motherboards don't support DDR2 memory. The clock speed of the memory is a little faster, but the memory has a higher latency which makes everything a wash anyway. Unless you use DDR2 800, but then that's kinda expensive.

For $310, I think that's quite the computer. Is that in your price range? Want to go a little lower?

Also remember, not everyone is going to agree with what you buy or what you want on your computer. Just remember it's YOUR computer. YOU are the one who has to put up with what you buy for the computer. If you go around to different forums, or even on this very thread, remember that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
BFocusSVT said:
Hi everyone, I was looking into a new MB+CPU+MEM combo and was wondering if you guys could help me out. First..the new AMD designations i.e. XP 3000+, 64 2800 are those their speed designations (Pentium equivalents). I was looking into either the Celeron D 340 2.93, the Sempron 2800/XP 2800 or better or the Pentium 4 2.6. Or maybe you all have a better suggestion, keep in mind their cost to performance value.

P.S. Although they are probably bad-ass, don't suggest the FX-55, Opteron, P4 Extreme or some crazy expensive processor like that because the price is too high. Just something good for gaming that will last a good while before it is outdated.

Thanks
In addition to the processor though what are you doing about a graphics card? Without at least a reasonably powerful graphics card your system would be bogged down like a turbo'ed Focus SVT on stock Focus sedan tires.

As for CPU that's getting more and more subjective everyday as both AMD and Intel's chips get closer to each other in terms of raw output. Though I do note that the AMD's still tend to put out more heat than the equivalent Intel chips in the price range you're looking at, if you go AMD please ensure that the power supply is noted as "AMD approved"

NefCanuck

·
Registered
663 Posts
EGGO said:
Gaming? AMD. I built my own ($4k) computer and did tons of research on parts, so if you have any questions, ask me. =0)
Great googily-moogily! $4000? List your specs, please.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Tigerdirect.com is having a special the MD, a Celeron 340D 2.93 and 512 mb Ram for $139. If you say Celeron is not good then thats ok, other than that a MB with an A64 3000 and 1gb ram would run approx $260 hows that for a deal? What about the Sempron or Athlon XP how are those processors? How come you didnt mention Pentium 4, price? Also is it really worth getting the A64 in Socket 939 or is 754 ok? Also is it possible for the MB to have an FSB of 800 and the A64 has an FSB of 1600, How will that work? What about when it comes to memory in that situation, it recommends PC3200 which runs at 400 so is it not using the full potential of the board/CPU?

Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
gmoffat said:
Great googily-moogily! $4000? List your specs, please.
Nearly $4k I should say.

Got this stuff when they were brand new:

BFG 6800 Ultra Overclocked (watercooled)
AMD FX-53 (watercooled)
Kingston PC-3200 2Gigabyte RAM
300GB hard drive (forgot what brand)
Pioneer DVD/CD burner
NEC DVD/CD burner
SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" floppy (never know when you need it)
CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition soundcard
ENERMAX Noisetaker 600W PSU
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard
L.I.S.2 VFD display
KOOLANCE EXOS Al watercooling system (I tried to make my own, but parts would be hard to fit in my tower)
Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Logitech Z640 speaker system
Logitech MX Duo wireless mouse/keyboard
Various amounts of CCFLs and LEDs along with fans
Windows XP Professional.

Things not included are the Cannon i9900 printer, new desk (which I also modded to have CCFL's light up behind and under it), great scanner (forgot brand name and all of that of it), WACOM tablet, and whatever else I forgot but isn't relevant.

I'm damn proud of this computer

OP, it would really help if we knew what exactly your budget is.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I built my own computer and used an AMD 64 3000 and am very happy with it.
I purchase speed appropriate video card, hard drive, etc. along with a full size case for $2,000.
I was willing to use different stores for different parts to catch the best price.

·
Registered
663 Posts
BFocusSVT said:
Well Tigerdirect.com is having a special the MD, a Celeron 340D 2.93 and 512 mb Ram for $139. If you say Celeron is not good then thats ok, other than that a MB with an A64 3000 and 1gb ram would run approx $260 hows that for a deal? What about the Sempron or Athlon XP how are those processors? How come you didnt mention Pentium 4, price? Also is it really worth getting the A64 in Socket 939 or is 754 ok? Also is it possible for the MB to have an FSB of 800 and the A64 has an FSB of 1600, How will that work? What about when it comes to memory in that situation, it recommends PC3200 which runs at 400 so is it not using the full potential of the board/CPU?

Thanks
What brand motherboard and memory does Tiger Direct have for $260? That might not be a bad deal.

The Sempron is basically AMD's version of a Celeron. The thing with those chips is the amount of memory on the processor is pretty small compared to a chip that costs a little bit more (like 1/4 or 1/8 as much depending on the chip you buy), and performance really suffers from it, especially in games. The Athlon XP is between a Sempron and and Athlon 64. More on-chip memory, slower FSB (HTT is what AMD calls it) speeds.

Personally, I didn't mention a Pentium 4 price because I think it's better to go the AMD route. I was going to build a P4 system until I was talked out of it and built my AMD system.

Socket 754 is fine. AMD is starting to phase those processors out and 939 will be their main new thing. The difference between the 2 is that with 939, you get a little better speed on the memory controller that's on the chip (128-bit path for 939, 64-bit path for 754), so you get a little better performance on the 939 than the 754 at the same clock speed. If you go with 754, you won't be able to use the mobo I suggested, but anything by Asus or MSI would be fine, and you would probably need to go with an AGP video card then.

The 800 vs 1600 HTT I'm not sure on, so I'll just not say anything.

That spec doesn't have anything to do with the actual speed of the memory. The HTT is just from the mobo to CPU. A different path is used for the memory, and AMD only uses DDR which runs at 200 Mhz actually, but DDR stands for Dual Data Rate, so that's where we come up with DDR400.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've never heard of the Mach Speed brand, but from what I've found about it online, it doesn't seem to be too bad of a board for the price. Some people like the VIA chipsets better than nvidia's, more of a preference thing.

The bus speed on the A64 is twice as fast, so that would be a big benefit there. Plus, with the 64-bit support, it sort of future-proofs your computer and makes it last a little longer if you wanted to hold on to it more. With the A64, the memory controller is on the processor rather than on the motherboard which gets rid of sending the data to that particular chip which speeds up performance.

This was the same thing I was facing when I built my new computer. Do I get something cheap now and upgrade in 2 years, or do I spend a little more and make the computer last 3-4? I went with the latter option, and I'm loving it. My suggestions are a little biased in that direction, so take that into consideration.

I really should be on a computer forum more than I am on this one...

·
Registered
898 Posts
EGGO said:
Nearly $4k I should say.

Got this stuff when they were brand new:

BFG 6800 Ultra Overclocked (watercooled)
AMD FX-53 (watercooled)
Kingston PC-3200 2Gigabyte RAM
300GB hard drive (forgot what brand)
Pioneer DVD/CD burner
NEC DVD/CD burner
SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" floppy (never know when you need it)
CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition soundcard
ENERMAX Noisetaker 600W PSU
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard
L.I.S.2 VFD display
KOOLANCE EXOS Al watercooling system (I tried to make my own, but parts would be hard to fit in my tower)
Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Logitech Z640 speaker system
Logitech MX Duo wireless mouse/keyboard
Various amounts of CCFLs and LEDs along with fans
Windows XP Professional.

Things not included are the Cannon i9900 printer, new desk (which I also modded to have CCFL's light up behind and under it), great scanner (forgot brand name and all of that of it), WACOM tablet, and whatever else I forgot but isn't relevant.

I'm damn proud of this computer

OP, it would really help if we knew what exactly your budget is.
My desktop cost nearly $400usd, LOL
ASrock board with build in Video, Sound, Lan
AMD xp2400+
512 ddr 2700
ATI TV wonder pro (love this thing!)
Sonata case
WD 160gb hd
old video card
creative live 5.1
HP DVDRW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts