Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Eh!
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ambient lighting stopped working while my car is running...only comes off when I turn my car off...anybody experience this?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Ambient lighting stopped working while my car is running...only comes off when I turn my car off...anybody experience this?
You are aware that you can't change the color of the ambient lighting unless it is dark outside right? It was funny to see the dealer salesman trying to show it off and getting flustered when it would only switch between blue, white and off when he tried to cycle through the settings in broad daylight on the day of delivery. I was actually starting to worry, but it turns out that unless the light sensor detects that it is dark the ambient lighting doesn't turn on with just the headlamps.

When I ran the car through the car wash for the first time the led's kicked on fully the way they were supposed to (I hadn't driven it much in the dark at that time yet).

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
A side note-Is anyone having the color pallet button not working? I can change the color, but I have to use the dome lamp button next to the moonroof button.
Sorry to jack your thread...

·
Registered
69 Posts
If it was working and now it is not, check your knob for brightness to make sure you didn't accidently turn it all the way down. If it still doesn't work, then its a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I could not, for the life of me, get mine working for the first two weeks I owned the car. I tried about a half a dozen times. Sat out in the driveway in the dark with the car on, the car off, car running, car not running, ligthts on, lights off, etc. etc. Tried everything. They simply would not change. One night we went over to some friends and I had a few drinks so I had my wife drive home. Since I was the passenger in my car for the first time, I was goofing around with the stuff inside and hit the color palette button and they changed. First time ever. Didn't do anything different than I did before with the exception of the fact that we were driving and not sitting in park. They have worked ever since and I can change them even when the car is not moving now. Don't know why but just putting it out there as an option for those that don't seem to be having any luck. One more thing to try.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe the ambient lights only come on if it is dark outside and you have your headlights on. Do you perhaps usually keep the headlights in auto mode and someone has switched them to the off position without you realizing?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Correct, the headlights must be on AND it must be dark enough outside or in the garage for them to work. As was stated, make sure your brightness control knob is not turned to the lowest setting.

·
Eh!
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh my gosh! i know what happened...when I had my windows tinted they must have turned my headlights from "automatic" to "off" so when I thought my ambient lighting wasn't working, my headlights weren't on. LOL major blonde moment there I tell ya!

·
Eh!
11,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe the ambient lights only come on if it is dark outside and you have your headlights on. Do you perhaps usually keep the headlights in auto mode and someone has switched them to the off position without you realizing?
haha this exactly...I knew the conditions for the lighting to work, just didn't think of the headlight thing til last night lol [:I]

thanks peeps!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Oh my gosh! i know what happened...when I had my windows tinted they must have turned my headlights from "automatic" to "off" so when I thought my ambient lighting wasn't working, my headlights weren't on. LOL major blonde moment there I tell ya!
Hah, now that is funny! Good that you figured it out and it is working though. That is the important part.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
haha this exactly...I knew the conditions for the lighting to work, just didn't think of the headlight thing til last night lol [:I]
thanks peeps!
Hi rhiannon666,

Thanks for the laugh! [:D]

I of course conducted a very tedious research about the inner workings of the ambient lighting. [8D] I found the following on page 127 of the Owner Guide.

“The ambient lights comes on whenever the ignition is in the on position, the headlamps are on and the outside ambient light level is low.”

All I have to say is, I had no idea. Thanks for the educational jaunt!

A side note-Is anyone having the color pallet button not working? I can change the color, but I have to use the dome lamp button next to the moonroof button.
Sorry to jack your thread...
Hey dyn085,

Don't you just love this feature?! I think of it as a nightlight - soothing.

Here's some more info I came across on page 127 of the Owner Guide.

• Press the left color pallet switch to cycle through the color choices.

• Press the right search mode switch to activate all dome lamps and all ambient lighting. Press the search mode switch again to deactivate the dome lamps and return the ambient lighting to the previously selected color.

Take care!

Noemi

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
I do like the feature, I just didn't understand it fully (apparently). I had to re-activate the dome lights by pressing the button to the left of my head (moonroof edition). Pretty nifty!

Thanks Noemi!

·
Registered
936 Posts
For anyone who may come across this thread in future searches, I had to have my ambient light dimmer knob replaced... took a few trips to figure out what parts were needed. It basically just got very flaky, and the cupholder lights were on aqua/teal at full brightness all the time (even after leaving the car).

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I do like the feature, I just didn't understand it fully (apparently). I had to re-activate the dome lights by pressing the button to the left of my head (moonroof edition). Pretty nifty!
Thanks Noemi!
Hey dyn085,

It is a nifty feature, and one of my fav; along with several others I must have! [:D]

Here's an article highlighting the ambient lighting on: Media.Ford.com.

For anyone who may come across this thread in future searches, I had to have my ambient light dimmer knob replaced... took a few trips to figure out what parts were needed. It basically just got very flaky, and the cupholder lights were on aqua/teal at full brightness all the time (even after leaving the car).
Hi Altis,

Thanks for the heads up. [:)] I'm sure your fellow posters will refer to the information if they have a similar concern.

Take care!

Noemi

1 - 17 of 17 Posts