Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgot what thread we were discussing it in, but here is a photo of the ambient lighting controls found on the ceiling inside the vehicle. I have a Titanium with a moonroof. The controls look a little odd with 3 blanks. Right below it is the sunglass holder and I'm assuming the grill is for the microphone for sync/phone. The controls are (from left to right) blank, blank, cycle ambient lighting color (looks like a painter's board), the turn knob for the ambient light level, a button to turn on/off the interior lights, the moonroof open/close switch, and a blank.

·
Registered
154 Posts
How do you like the ambient lighting? I had a Fusion rental car in May and it probably was the nicest thing about the car. LOL The car was just too big and heavy for me.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice gimmick, but pretty much useless. I'm not going to drive around with my car glowing some color inside. I would say it depends on the driver, I'm too old for these gimmicks. When set to white and at full brightness it's pretty distracting and ruins night-vision for driving at night. There are only a few color options (7 I believe) and only the dark-blue and white had any appeal to me. I had it on for a few minutes, ooh'ed and ahh'ed appropriately, and shut it off. Would have never paid for this option if it wasn't standard in the Titanium.

All that being said, I was impressed that it was in so many areas, decent coverage, the cup holder, the door handles, under the driver and passenger sides. It wasn't like they threw 2 leds in and said that was it. It does look nice, I just don't find it practical for anything. YMMV.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll like it. The smallest things make me happy.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The aftermarket stereo headunit in my car glows and cycles thru 256 colors, it was a huge crowd pleaser at first, now I don't even notice it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I tend to keep mine set on red. It matches my paint and red doesn't interfere with your night vision like other colors do. Overall, red seems to be the most practical. The 06 Passat I traded had two red LEDs by the sunroof controls pointing downward so that you could see in the low light so some ambient lighting isn't new to me.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have a black titanium hatch and love the dark blue ambient lights. I used to have dark blue ambient lights under my previous cars seats and it was nice but the sheer number of places they added lights really make it useful. It's not too distracting to me (nowhere near as distracting as the MFT screen) and is just kind of nice to have on for the cupholders and doors.

The lights in the footwells are practically useless, but they're still nice to have for no reason other than styling.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Never seen those controls, look a bit out of place really. Mine are just controlled via the dashboard menu and they have a separate light sensor on the windscreen...
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never seen those controls, look a bit out of place really. Mine are just controlled via the dashboard menu and they have a separate light sensor on the windscreen...
Posted via FF Mobile
must be different for the UK vehicles.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile
So much for the "world car" lol, this sounds much easier and much less ugly.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
separate light sensor could be ugly. honestly, i don't think about the controls over my head unless i'm looking to open the moonroof.

wish sync controlled the moonroof. would be nice. "moonroof open" and "moonroof close"

·
Registered
636 Posts
Wait, titanium's have sun glass holders? Why in gods name was this feature left out of the SE? (Which I'd assume would be the volume seller). Would there be an easy way to add this to an SE even if it meant half the buttons are useless?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
probably because the SE has more little cubby-holes and better cup holders for things than the Ti does. lol.

it's kind of integrated into the headliner. i don't think it's an easy add-on.

if all you're looking for is an eyeglass holder you can get plenty that clip onto your visor for a few dollars.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wait, titanium's have sun glass holders? Why in gods name was this feature left out of the SE? (Which I'd assume would be the volume seller). Would there be an easy way to add this to an SE even if it meant half the buttons are useless?
It's on the Titaniums and SELs. I just wonder what the other blanks were intended for.

·
Registered
60 Posts
separate light sensor could be ugly. honestly, i don't think about the controls over my head unless i'm looking to open the moonroof.

wish sync controlled the moonroof. would be nice. "moonroof open" and "moonroof close"
The sensor is just tucked up behind the mirror right next to the light and rain sensor so you can't see it. Wouldn't say it was ugly, was just thinking the knob looked out of place. Probably have more control over it the way you have it, scrolling through the dash to turn it off when driving isn't going to be a easy as just clicking it off...

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it's an option on the SEL, it's standard on the Ti. if it were an option I'd have opted out and saved my $$$

·
Registered
712 Posts
I tend to keep mine set on red. It matches my paint and red doesn't interfere with your night vision like other colors do. Overall, red seems to be the most practical. The 06 Passat I traded had two red LEDs by the sunroof controls pointing downward so that you could see in the low light so some ambient lighting isn't new to me.
Ditto on the paint match setting. While I agree it has limited usefulness, it is good for folks not familiar with the car in finding the door handle to exit at night. Beyond that it is pretty much the cool factor. How cool does that water bottle look at night?[:)~] Friends who see the car first time always comment on how cool the lighting is and they start playing with the different light colors as soon as I point out the button. I'm old but still get a kick out this type of thing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I love the ambient lighting, definitly a great talking point to people who have never seen it before. I like it so much that I often wait until it starts to get dark to run errands so that I can see it. Plus you can change the colors and brightness. If I have any problem its with the other interior lights. They are some damned bright! When I turn my car off at night I feel like my headliner turns into an alternate sun!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts