Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took advantage of a free inspection over a rattle in the front end that turned out to be a broken sway bar link and the other soon to join the other.

After the inspection, the shop offered to do the work for $200. I declined due to not having the money and thinking I could do the work myself, which I did.

I was amazed that they were going to charge me $140 for maybe 30 minutes worth of work.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
That sounds about right. .good job

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Wow that is crazy what people will charge. New links with grease fittings are about $20, and a half hour to install. Blows my mind.

Didnt know if you all would be interested in a meet before winter. Thinking of October 5 up in Sandusky.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476137

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Well, the garage has to pay it's employees, electric bills, taxes and everything else as well. So what you consider highway robbery is about average cost for a garage to do the work for you. So I consider the price you were quoted as being fair.

By the way, if you haven't replaced the end-links yet. I suggest getting the Moog ones with the grease fittings. They are more beefy than the stock end-links. They should also only run you about $20 each.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I certainly understand the reasons. It still amazes me tho. This is the reason I strive to do work myself when possible.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Yeah people who don't get cars typically pay te most. They don't know what things cost. All they hear is a rattle that they need to get fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mindset is the need for self reliance within my means. When my Subie died and I became part of the cycling community, i joined a bike co-op to have access to the tools I didn't have and learned to service my bike. I now can strip and rebuild bikes and fix every issue I may face.

Hmmm...a Focus Co-op.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I would say collectively as a group we make a pretty good Focus Co-op lol even though most of us no longer have one we still remember, and some of us have focus parts still, I know I do lol, and it's the most random stuff too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quite likely. Might have a better chance to find parts that way. The local U-pull-it was slim pickings. Any chance anyone have a working center console latch?

I was fortunate to have found a 5 speed w/cruise control. Found out I was missing the clutch sensor in my effort to fix my cruise control.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Quite likely. Might have a better chance to find parts that way. The local U-pull-it was slim pickings. Any chance anyone have a working center console latch?

I was fortunate to have found a 5 speed w/cruise control. Found out I was missing the clutch sensor in my effort to fix my cruise control.

I did...it broke about a month ago. Poor design.

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Are you talking about the clip that locks the lid on the center console? Those seem to be easily broken. Almost every person I know that has one, has a broken clip there as well.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,107 Posts
Mine holds nothing now. Swapping out for a no armrest console.

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
I will be at Cars & Coffee at Fuel Coffee in the morning. If any of you want to come out, feel free to stop out there. The address is 2726 Riverside Rd., Cincinnati, Ohio in case you decide to stop out there.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I even have some focus parts left. From my svt I have an idle air control valve....and a hood prop rod and a radio antenna base. ...random stuff. All mk1 focus stuff. Didn't have either one of my mk3 focus long enough to collect parts.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
As far as tools go...I have almost anything someone would need so if you are looking let me know. And one of these days my air compressor will be hooked up so I will finally have air. It's an upright Campbell housefield 220v. I would like to have it so I can utilize it with my mustang project.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Well, get it set up then! [neener]
I would just having trouble getting an electrician out to do the job. I dont mess with that stuff.

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
What? You mean to tell me that you don't like being shocked? lol You don't have a 220V outlet set up in your garage?

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Nope

1 - 20 of 20 Posts