Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ok when we took delivery of Red, back in May, the AM on the radio didn't work.
We waited a few months til we figured the mechanics would have some experience ...
see http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-257084.html

Anyway this week we took Red in and it was a quick fix. The antenna has a amp in its base ... they dropped the headliner and checked the power plug ... it was loose and they pushed it back in and everything is fine.

Who would have guessed that the antenna had to have power to work.

both AM and FM work better now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think the AM section of the car radio now is very weak. I had a new 65 mustang and the only radio available was AM. I remember listening in Oklahoma to radio stations from all over, Chicago, New Orleans, and I think WKYC in Ohio. Now I'm lucky to get the next county.

It was actually nice to here local radio from other parts of the country. Of course these were powerhouse stations with strong signals and they knew it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think the AM section of the car radio now is very weak. I had a new 65 mustang and the only radio available was AM. I remember listening in Oklahoma to radio stations from all over, Chicago, New Orleans, and I think WKYC in Ohio. Now I'm lucky to get the next county.

It was actually nice to here local radio from other parts of the country. Of course these were powerhouse stations with strong signals and they knew it.
Stations face FCC regulations that greatly limit their power outputs now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I know, DougC, but it was fun while it lasted. The new cars have multiple radios built into them, the Focus has four, AM, FM, HD, and Satellite, plus CD, USB, SD, and Bluetooth sources. In around 68 I was trying to get a power inverter to run my reel to reel tape player so I could listen to my albums in the car. Most people now don't remember a time when your car didn't have a tape player or CD player. My Acura has a hard drive and plays surround sound dvds. Different world.

Sorry Red 2012 for highjacking your post. Nice car, what wheels do you have?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I know, DougC, but it was fun while it lasted. The new cars have multiple radios built into them, the Focus has four, AM, FM, HD, and Satellite, plus CD, USB, SD, and Bluetooth sources. In around 68 I was trying to get a power inverter to run my reel to reel tape player so I could listen to my albums in the car. Most people now don't remember a time when your car didn't have a tape player or CD player. My Acura has a hard drive and plays surround sound dvds. Different world.

Sorry Red 2012 for highjacking your post. Nice car, what wheels do you have?
I DO! I DO! [cheers]

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem ... I was just amazed that they have to amp up the base of that tiny antenna to make the radio work.

wheels standard SEL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts