Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parking brake was weak when I first bought the car, and I narrowed it down to pretty much worn-out rear shoes. So I figured, out, replace them, right? Haynes manual said that the easiest way to fix it is to take off the spindle and go in through the back of the hub. My brother and I decided to do that way, and we ended up breaking a bolt off. Neither of us wanted to break all of the bolts off, so we decided to just stop there and put it back together and I would take it to a shop, because he didn't have the time to fix it, and I needed my car back.

I found a shop, and I told them what was up; how I needed the brake shoes put on as well as the bolt in the spindle replaced/drilled out.

$100. I thought it was a little high, but it is kinda intense and it requires the whole spindle off. Ok, I thought.

I was told my car was ready ay 6PM. I was at work until 10PM, so I told them I was able to pick it up at open (9AM).

I showed up to the shop at 9:30-9:45 am. The owner is not there to write a receipt. I had to be at work at 11AM, and I had a few errands that I HAD to get done. The guy at the shop let me pay and drive off in my car. I get in the car to discover the First problem:

Brake pedal goes all the way to the floor. They didn't bleed the brakes at ALL. By this time, the owner shows up, and he responds by "it just needs to be bled out a little bit". OK, I think. I wait the 30 minutes to get my brakes bled out. (I ended up being late for work, FYI).

I get the car back, and I apply the parking brake when I'm almost at work, and I get absolutely NOTHING. Plenty of tension in the handle, but no drag on the wheels. I took it back to the shop the next morning. He tugs with the cable only to have it snap in his hands. We'll look into seeing how much that would cost to get that fixed for ya. Irritated, I drove around looking for a place that would do it. I found a guy who would do it for $90 labor and $80 in parts. Roughly, it was only a hair cheaper than the other quotes, but the guy was so nice to me......

I get a phone call that my car is ready (Friday. I sent my car in for shoes on Monday) and I go and pick it up. The parking brake doesn't work, and then it drags. (it's in the correct position now, so I'm not mad. They made it right.)

However, the parking brake guy told me all he had to do and he said "never let the guy who did your shoes ever touch your [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]ing car again".

He told me that the brake shoe guy:

Put the shoes on backwards.

Adjusted them improperly. (left rear never even touched the drum at all)

Put them in in such a manner that the adjustment star for the parking brake was in the wrong place entirely.

Never put the parking brake spring(s) on. Honestly, It would have saved me a new line(s), but they were in bad shape all together.

And to top it all off, now my rear springs are broken? I watched them jack the car up, and they kept putting the floor jack on the trailing arms. (I didn't say anything, because they're the mechanic, right?)

I even had to check under the car to make sure the spindle bolt was fixed. (it was)

The parking brake guy redid my brake shoes for free.

Bottom line

I want my money back. Also, is it possible that the shop broke my rear springs? I can't tell whether I've been dealt a bad hand, or whether something else is at play.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think of course you have a right to be mad. In my opinion the guy who did your brakes correctly should write our everything he had to do to correct their mistakes and you should talk to the dealer who f[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]ed everything up and let them know you enter a refund or some compensation. Of all the things on a car that you can mess up and deal with brakes are not one of them. Sure drums are a pain in the ass but they sill need to be done correctly. Your car could have rolled down a hill.

Also what legitimate car repair shop does a break job and doesn't take it for a road test. Verify repair is always the final step.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
^My thoughts too.

When you go to a shop you pay for a correct and complete job. Being neither where done you should get something back. The part that will hurt you is you didn't allow the first shop to repair their screw ups.
So you can try to get something out of them. An apology would be nice at least.

Far as them breaking the rear springs,
It's doubtful. By the sounds of it the entire rear of the car has some serious cancer/rust. So I don't doubt that the springs where rusted severely as well.
Though with the rust when they jacked the car up the higher weight on the spring may of broke it. But it really wouldn't be their fault.
I'd say just be happy it didn't break while driving.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The springs aren't rusted at all.

I didn't even know the brakes were bad until I sent it out to get the lines fixed. The guy who said they'll fix the parking brake lines (the brake shoe guy) never called me as to fixing the line.

I've already had the parking brake guy write out all he had to do to fix the rear shoes.

I don't wanna have to double check the shop's work all the time...

I feel like I paid money to make the car worse.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
What? I have no idea why shops try to dick people around. All it gets them is in trouble and less customers. I would pursue to the fullest extent because brakes are something not to mess with since they are the most important bit on your car.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
did we learn a lesson that the cheapest is not always the best?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wasn't the cheapest, though. I was quoted at several shops for around 130 with parts. I paid 100 in labor, and I already had the parts.

I called the shop, and I get my money back from the brake job, so all is well.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Um $100 is way cheap to replace brake shoes and drill and fix your bolts. I would say you prob got what you paid for there. However, they should have AT LEAST made the car safe to drive for you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thats why you find an honest mechanic and stick with them. Even if they cost more, like the second guy you went to. Award him with all your jobs that you cant do from now on. My mechanic is expensive as all hell but he knows what hes doing and hes up front with you. Even when I have a problem I cant fix and I take it to him, he tells me what I'm doing wrong instead of making money off of me.

I'd atleast get a partial refund from the first guy, and yes 100 bucks is cheap, he did at least two hours labor +parts.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeah if you find a good honest mechanic stick with him/her. Its easier finding a good doctor lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts