Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some help from the board here.

I just took delivery of my new Focus. Now I noticed there was a round plastic cover in the arm rest compartment. I wasn't sure what it was until I looked around the steering wheel. Right where the key would go (I have a titanium) I found this...

Now to me it looks like there's something supposed to be in there. I know the area is for when your key fob is low on batteries you just put it near that area. Could some of you take a look inside that section for me and take a pic or just describe if there's something supposed to be there. It's just a cover and it comes off easily.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
519 Posts
There should just be a round black plastic cover over that. If that's what you found in the center console storage, you should pop it in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That is where you put your IA key if it's batteries are dying. Just put the plastic piece on there, I'm sure they just missed it in PDI.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes yes. I know about the cover. I'm wondering about the inside though. Doesn't it look like there should be something there on the inside?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes yes. I know about the cover. I'm wondering about the inside though. Doesn't it look like there should be something there on the inside?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
No there is not supposed to be anything in that slot area you pictured, once you take off the round black cover. That is the slot where you put the key if the IA battery is low.

·
Registered
29 Posts
that is the space that would hold the key switch for the ignition. But you have IA, so they just took the key switch out, and put a cover over the hole.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just looking for some help from the board here.

I just took delivery of my new Focus. Now I noticed there was a round plastic cover in the arm rest compartment. I wasn't sure what it was until I looked around the steering wheel. Right where the key would go (I have a titanium) I found this...

Now to me it looks like there's something supposed to be in there. I know the area is for when your key fob is low on batteries you just put it near that area. Could some of you take a look inside that section for me and take a pic or just describe if there's something supposed to be there. It's just a cover and it comes off easily.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, there most surely should be a cover over that. Just take it back to the dealer and they should be able to get the cover for it. I think that's the data link cable connection....???

·
Registered
548 Posts
I was curious so I found this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee4MuuMFHts

I'm sure there's others like me, who only drove an SE or SEL. Since most lots are stocking the Titanium you may not have seen this.
I like it, since the key felt kind of cheap in the SEL, and when I went to turn to start I felt like I was going to accidentally push the buttons.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm sure there's others like me, who only drove an SE or SEL. Since most lots are stocking the Titanium you may not have seen this.
I like it, since the key felt kind of cheap in the SEL, and when I went to turn to start I felt like I was going to accidentally push the buttons.
Most lots around here are stocked with SE's, it's a better and more affordable entry level trim.
I realize your Titanium is a far superior vehicle over my SEL with only the 303A package, but really, the key seems cheap. I'm not sure what buttons you are referring to but your inane comments have certainly pushed my buttons.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, there most surely should be a cover over that. Just take it back to the dealer and they should be able to get the cover for it. I think that's the data link cable connection....???
I found the cover so that's no issue.

But yeah, I was thinking the same thing about it being a cable connection or maybe a module of some sort was supposed to be in there and then covered.

Also, I'm pretty sure you don't have to remove the cover for that port to start the car when your key fob battery is low.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Most lots around here are stocked with SE's, it's a better and more affordable entry level trim.
I realize the Titanium is a far superior vehicle over my SEL with only the 303A package, but really, the key seems cheap. I'm not sure what buttons you are referring to but your inane comments have certainly pushed my buttons.
Sorry I forgot the n't. Most lots aren't stocking titaniums.

Most lots didn't have a titanium and if they did it was sold so it wasn't available for test drive. I never got to see the pushstart or IA key before ordering my titanium. All I got to drive was an SE and loaded SEL.

I drive a 97 neon. My key is nothing more than a flat key. The SEL key has door unlock buttons on the head of the key. When I go to turn the ignition I feel as though I'm going to press accidentally press them. But that's just me.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is very true. The place I got my car had probably (12) 2012 Focuses on their lot (al new) but most were SE's with various options. There were a few "S" models there, and one or two "Titaniums" and I think maybe an SEL, but the majority of them were SE's with automatics. Too bad most of them had sunroofs though, because I wanted to get a blue one, but the only two blue ones that had were with either a manual, or didn't have cruise or something else. So I had to settle on the Silver one, which had what I wanted... (timing was an issue or i would have let them trade another dealer for the car I wanted).

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Those switch blade keys are really nice, I liked the one on a Mazda 3 I drove. But over all the feel of the key is such a small part of the car. I'm sure I would get used to it quickly, I never actually DID push a button, I just felt like I might.
I would probably look into one of those as well if I didn't have the Ti

1 - 20 of 28 Posts