Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I’ve been having a strange problem with my ’02 Focus 1.6 Zetec.

It’s been overheating on dual carriageways and just generally when I’m pushing the car hard. However, as soon as I ease off or brake the temp gauge returns to normal.

I had a full service and a new radiator fitted last week and the car was given a clean bill of health, but it’s still overheating.

There doesn’t seem to be any signs of a bad head gasket, so I figure it must be a circulation problem. As I’m not sure, I want to do the work at home as I wouldn’t want to spend £200+ on getting it replaced at a garage only to find that the problem hasn’t been solved.

Am I right in saying that the water pump on the 1.4 and 1.6 litre engines are connected to an ancillary drive and not to the cam belt (replaced when I bought the car 12 months ago)? Also could anyone shed some light on what to be careful of and whether I need to use some sealant on the gasket?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom.

·
Registered
147 Posts
2.0SPI's have to remove timing belt to change water pump.
2.0Zetec water pump can be removed without removing the timing belt.
2.0Zetec-E timing belt has to be removed.

Not sure which the 1.4 and 1.6 follow.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Hi Guys,

I’ve been having a strange problem with my ’02 Focus 1.6 Zetec.

It’s been overheating on dual carriageways and just generally when I’m pushing the car hard. However, as soon as I ease off or brake the temp gauge returns to normal.

I had a full service and a new radiator fitted last week and the car was given a clean bill of health, but it’s still overheating.

There doesn’t seem to be any signs of a bad head gasket, so I figure it must be a circulation problem. As I’m not sure, I want to do the work at home as I wouldn’t want to spend £200+ on getting it replaced at a garage only to find that the problem hasn’t been solved.

Am I right in saying that the water pump on the 1.4 and 1.6 litre engines are connected to an ancillary drive and not to the cam belt (replaced when I bought the car 12 months ago)? Also could anyone shed some light on what to be careful of and whether I need to use some sealant on the gasket?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom.
The water pump "should" be driven from the serpentine belt. In the American versions (2.0 Zetec's) The waterpump can be replaced at home... the easiest way for us is to unbolt the motor mount next to the water pump, jack the engine up on that side to provide clearance then simply remove the four bolts that hold the pump in place, put in the new pump then do everything in reverse.

·
Registered
116 Posts
agreed

^^ What he said! [woot]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy heart failure, Batman!

Did you say unbolt the motor mount and jack the engine! That has put me off a bit. How difficult is this?

Does the engine have to be jacked up, or is there (just) enough clearance to remove the water pump with it insitu?

Perhaps a trip to the garage is in order?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I did mine on my 2.0 Zetec. I did it without removing the motor mount, but I had to take the pulley off the pump and move the powersteering pump out of the way to get it out. This was an enormous PITA and would have been much simpler to remove the motor mount in retrospect.

Taking out the motor mount isn't as scary as it sounds, just put a floor jack with a piece of 2X4 on it under the engine to support it, pop out the bolts, and jack the engine a couple times to get the clearance. You'll probably still have to take off the pulley to get at all the bolts, but it will be MUCH easier.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would swap out the t-stat first?(maintenance issue anyways) also there are ways to see if the waterpump is pushing out coolant.........'Diagnose then replace"

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Unbolting motor mount is only a couple bolts. Very easy. Don't worry about jacking motor. It won't hurt anything. You can events move the engine back and forth abit as needed. We did a friends alternator on the 4th and that was a pita. Had to jack and rock the he'll out of the motor to get the clearance needed to pull it out. Everything went back fine. So go for it.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I would swap out the t-stat first?(maintenance issue anyways) also there are ways to see if the waterpump is pushing out coolant.........'Diagnose then replace"
This is very true. All of the above advice is contingent upon ensuring that the water pump is actually at fault.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts