Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I used to be one of those people that would clean my own car but due to the lack of rain we are under water restrictions. I was talked into going to the car wash with my dad so he
could have my moms truck cleaned, and as I sat in the waiting area in the cool ac I watched
lexus, bmw, acura, infinity and so on going through the automated car wash and then watched as the cars were hand dried tires detailed insides vacuumed and wiped down, and it only took about 30 minutes and the price 16.95 or 11.95 with out tire shine or the wipe down of interior.If its good enough for those cars its of for a focus right? So I decided to go there the next weekend I waited in the ac as I watch my car being washed, dried, vaccumed and looked over by at least 2 people so nothing was missed. Now I prefer the look of tireshine its the wipe on kind and it doesn't sling up on the side of the car, I was in and out in 30 minutes spent 16.95 plus 1.00 tip and car looked great, or I could of spent at least an hour and a half
not had near the results and spent close to 10 dollars on washing and vaccuming it myself not
to mention what I dont do (dry it off, water spots I don't have any now)and would have spent all that time doing it.

is this lazy? I see it as cost effective because I value my 1.5-2.0 hours more valuable than about 6-7 dollars

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
hey, i know how you feel. There is a guy with a mobile wash that comes to my job and washes cars for 20.00 bucks. he does a damn nice job too. wash, cleans tires and rims, drys it, vacums interior, and wipes down the interior with armorall. leaves it looking really nice, and it get that "hand wash" clean. all while i sit at my desk waiting to get outta work.

i enjoi washing my car, but sometimes its just awesome to have it done for a few more bucks that what i spend washing it myself.

·
Registered
351 Posts
no it's not lazy. Not at all.

I like to do all of my own work, and I LOSE money when I do things myself, as if i was working I'd be making much more money per hour than what i'm saving. but i like the peace of mind knowing I did it and it's on MY ass.

But if you don't feel that way, that's fine. Shit, if you feel ok with it, and can afford it, take that 2 hours and have fun. Life isn't about money.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
i like to do it myself because its cheaper and i like my results way better then what they do. ive tried one of those places but im very very picky. i like things done a certian way and if one things gets missed from the palce it bothers me for ever. when i do it i know its done to my liking and ive washed waxed and detailed my car so many times i can do it fast and make it look awesome i get paid to do friends cars sometimes but when i comes to cars that arent mine i dont feel like doing it really. im just anal about how clean mycar is it might be celan to them but not to me

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can understand being picky but I have a rock drive way and drive 30 miles one way to work, so by the time I get home creep up the driveway, creep back down monday morning and then drive 30 miles my car isn't perfect clean anymore. now I will remove any bird droppings from my paint as soon as I see those I know what happens if you leave that sitting in the sun at
100 plus degrees for very long

I can say I will do it myself and use the clay bar this fall when it cools down a bit and give it a real detail

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I wish I had a place that cheap.

Can I be anti #2, please?

·
Registered
756 Posts
As long as they do a good job, you are happy with the results and they are not using any harmfull products (such as solvent based tire shine, which has proven to kill tires in the long run or harsh silicones on the dash that will promote and speed up the cracking, etc, etc), nothing wrong with that:)

Just be sure of what is being used on your car though.
Remember, just bcause something looks good initiaal does not mean it will last or that it is good for your car and not causing harm.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I just make my wife and kids do it. No I do have them help as my one like too and the other is a year away fro driving. She was tought how to take care of cars and I have her help with all maintance. This way she dosen't ever become relied on anyone and she can do it herself. I always tough her to play dumb when getting anything done with your car and you will see which place will try to rip you off. But yes I would pay someone to do my car only problem is I live on a gravel road so I wash my car every time I drive it. Kinda sucks but price you pay to live with no neighbors and a nice car.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have used the "system wash hand detialed" washes alot. I find them great. For people who are super busy and cant afford the 3 hours during the day to do what they do in a 1/2 hour its a good deal. Also My place does it for 10.50 I usually get the 15.00 one with tire shine and leather conditioner and stuff like that. I find the nice part is they reclean the car for a $1 if it rains the next day. So all your money wasnt spent in vain if it rains and you dont have to worry about water spots.

My 1/2 hour is worth about $30 during the week so if I spend 15 to have some one spend 30Min to do something I take 3 Hrs to do I consider it money saved as well as time and the cars clean to!

·
Registered
580 Posts
No places like that around here with people who wipe down the car and treat it real nice, or I'd try it at least once - only places I've seen are those crappy no touch places, and I hate those with a passion, no real results from those.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts