Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a ******* question - what's the difference between the PZEV and the DURATEC. Both are 2.3s, right? I know the PZEV is Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle which means I put out less crap from my exhaust ((my Foci is preserving the planet [:)] )) I just want to learn more. I've got the PZEV and I wouldn't mind doing some modifications to my Foci BUT I think I need to know more about the heart of my car before I throw myself under the hood...
Thanks =o)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
from what i know duratec=pzev

·
Super Moderator
1,080 Posts
It is my understanding that the PZEV has some additional smog items. PZEV=Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. All Duratecs are NOT PZEV.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I thought the PZEV Duratec was only offered in "Green" States. If you're going to do mods to your Dura and it's PZEV you'll notice better gains because you're freeing up the restrictive components that are built into the car to lower the emissions.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Yeah...that's why I can't wait to put on my header because the stock Manicat is like 20 pounds of blockage for my motor to breath. Like said..PZEV is just in the green states because we have nazi emissions requirements. The two breathing mods I have done to my car, Intake and Exhaust, have seriously kicked my car up a notch! Another difference is that the 2.3 Duratec has more HP than the 2.3 Duratec PZEV because of a difference in the tune.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
pzev's aren't only offered in green states... a friend of mine has a pzev, bought it new, and she lives like 5 miles away from me

·
Registered
249 Posts
All 03 and 04 duratec's are pzev, in 05 it is only the ones in green states

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 2.3 and its NOT a PZEV. Why would anyone WANT to live in a 'green' state anyway?

·
Registered
815 Posts
All I know is that damn PZEV crap steals 10hp from my car! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Man, everything on any duratech steals 10 hp!! The engine is capable of a lot more than what Ford gives us. You just got to have the $$ to open it up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
that article a few posts up is great. I've got the 2.0 and wish there was a write up somewhere for that engine that was on par with the one for the 2.3

·
Registered
176 Posts
frdmusta1 said:
that article a few posts up is great. I've got the 2.0 and wish there was a write up somewhere for that engine that was on par with the one for the 2.3
The 2.3 and 2.0 are virtually identical. They are the same block with a different bore. You could easily turn a 2.0 into a 2.3 by simply boring it out to 87.4mm and installing new sleeves and pistons. The 2.3 also sports balance shafts but those aren't necessary for functionality and, in fact, reduce output due to increased rotating mass.

Most, if not all, aftermarket parts should be interchangeable between the two.

PZEV is simply an EPA designation of the expected pollution level output of a vehicle. The Duratec 2.3 PZEV just designates that it has added emissions controls that qualify if for Partial Zero Emissions.

The vehicles constructed to meet the PZEV requirements are called Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicles (SULEVs). Various techniques are used to reduce pollution in these vehicles. In order to qualify as a PZEV, a vehicle must meet the SULEV standard and, in addition, have zero evaporative emissions from its fuel system plus an extended (ten-year/150,000-mile) warranty on its emission-control components, which incidentally covers the propulsion electrical components of a hybrid electric vehicle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts