Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was hoping that would spark some interest....

Any way, I have a 2001 ZTS 4-DR with a 4-Spd Auto.. [?|]

I had a 2000 SE with a 5-Spd but let's face it.. The SPI engine really has no potential for upgrades. "At least not like the Zetec".

My problem is that I still get the twitch for shifting... Some of you may already see where this is going.. I want to know, BEFORE I start working the shifter on my automatic like it’s a 4-speed stick with no clutch; Am I going to need a shovel and a sponge to pick up what’s left of the transmission when it blows like a fat mans heart @ Burger-King, or can the automatic transmission handle being tossed into first and worked up through the gears.

"You may wonder why this is being posted in this forum..." Well, why else would I be worried about getting the control and higher RPM's? I have a [burnout]drag strip[burnout] 2 hours from my house that allows people to hit the track for $30. All you need is a helmet. I just want to know if I can shift my car and not kill it, maybe off the track too.

Any help or experiences that you can share to answer this question would be great... Thanks to all for your help on this matter...

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Well, someone else will probably have a better answer, but I'll say this. I wouldn't worry about it too much, if heavy abuse of the trans. is every once in awhile (i.e. when you're at the track, like you suggested). Modern transmissions are designed (for the most part) so that you CAN'T shift down to a lower gear if you're going too fast. You can move the selector down, but the trans. won't go down to that gear until you've slowed down enough for it to safely engage that gear. As for starting out from a stop with it in first, and then manually moving the selector up to the next gear (getting more revs out of the engine for each gear, rather than leaving it in Drive and letting it do all the work) I do that every once in awhile in automatic cars, and it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. It did on my old 68 Plymouth Satellite, but that was a transmission from the dark ages, designed to shift up automatically at pretty low RPM's. Wouldn't hurt to at least try it, though?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[;)]Thanks for the Advice Guys!![:D]

I decided to bite the bullet [target] and ask the guy who owns the transmission shop about 1 minute from my house about this. He told me pretty much what SVT4ME had said.

Once in a while taking the car dropping it into 1st and doing the shifting instead of just slapping it in Drive can in some cases help the car as it works the valve bodies more then they normally do by just being in drive. It helps to prevent sticking and other things. However too much of a good thing can be a bad thing at the same time. At the track or once in a while when I feel the need to make sure the Rev-Limiter is working properly! [burnout] Really won't hurt things, but shifting an auto on a daily basis can in most cases actually shorten the life of the trans since you wear out the bands and clutches.

[thumbsd]**THE REAL BAD NEWS**[thumbsd]

Ford will pretty much send you packing if you even consider getting them to fix the sucker under warranty. As far as they are concerned that is not normal wear and tear.. It is abuse, as such they will not fix it for free. [nutkick]

Anyway, thanks again for the help on this. If anyone happens to know a good way to launch an Automatic (Ie. Holeshot, burnout, nasty smoke show!!), with only a CAI pass that along.

[hihi] Oh yeah and I am not using 2 gallons of race fuel and some dynamite! That’s not what I mean by launching my car!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.