Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so is it worth it to get the stainless steel on the exhaust systems? it says the aluminized may start to have rust and what not in 5-10 years. so i'm thinking that its worth the extra money. let me know ur thoughts and experiences. thanks.

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
ummm duh u answered u'r own q :) do u really want to buy a whole nother exhaust in 5 yrs or less depending on how much road salt u have? pa seems to snow a lot so go for stainless man...

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
yeah in some cases its like 5-10 months... go stainless, looks and even some times sounds better

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
doink!

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Hey! Who turned out the lights.

(really, go stainless it gives you something nice to look at when you're under the car doing other mods)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Yep, I'll agree, go stainless. Not sure where you are from in PA, but in NEPA, they kill the roads with salt. Depending on the gauge steel used and how well its aluminized, you might be lucky to get 3 years based on personal experience. The extra money is really minimal when you consider the cost of a new exhaust system and the installation fees if you choose not to do it yourself.

The only way I'd consider aluminized piping is if either I raced the car and nothing else (to save weight) or if I lived in a desert.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i live in Chicagoland lol salt is religious over here

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
what about in places where we see no snow...

i dont have 400 for a ss cat back...(remeber s/h to here is expensive)
but i can push for a 200 with a muffler for a 2 1/2 localy....

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I think it really comes down to the quality of the manufacturer. A well frabricated aluminized system should last as long as a aluminized or galvanized OEM system and maybe longer than cheap stainless systems. I've seen OEM systems last as long as 10 years in saltless and low humidity environments. On the other hand I have seen some really poor quality stainless tubing that fails in a couple of years in the same conditions. Buy based on the strength and reputation of the manufacturer. My guess is you will get a better life expectancy from say... a focussport aluminized system compared to a cheap 22 gauge (questionable) stainless steel product from China. Budget contraints are real issues and need to be considered. Carful shopping may get you a quality stainless system for the same price as a coated system. We picked up a Magnaflow stainless system for less than a coated system.

·
Registered
281 Posts
On my 1990 Mercury Sable my exhaust is still up and running and looking DAMN Good! 13 years of messed up weather. I don't know whether it is Stainless or Aluminized though.

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
couldnt u just paint the aluminized w/ some hi temp stuff,?-

·
Registered
281 Posts
couldnt u just paint the aluminized w/ some hi temp stuff,?-
Sure but I'm gonna assume that it will be eaten away by all the stuff the exhaust has to put up with. Its in the worst location of your entire car. Exposed to all the elements. You don't even need high temp paint I don't think. Well I guess you do but not like 900 degrees or anything. You could give it a nice 5 or 10 coatings lol but then you'd probably lose your waranty from the company you bought it from.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i was wondering the weight difference between aluminized vs stainless steel piping? I figured it would be considerable, yet no one mentions it. Any know out there?

Plus would the aluminized have a "softer" sound, instead of tinty?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Considering they say it may START to rust in 5 years I would just do the aluminized.... heck I have aluminized on my SVT and it has no signs of rust.

Do you guys realize how long it actually takes for exhaust to rust out and have holes in it???

Most people on here wont have their cars long enough to see it happen.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
well it all depends on what ya get, ive seen some alumnized exhausts last less than a year. Because they say it may last 5 years it might not. If you got the money go with the better metal. If ya dont get the alumized one and see what happens, may last may not.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
i was wondering the weight difference between aluminized vs stainless steel piping? I figured it would be considerable, yet no one mentions it. Any know out there?

Plus would the aluminized have a "softer" sound, instead of tinty?
The weight diffrence is negligible, i belive it would be less than 10lbs(as a rough estimate), which is nothing. The sound diffrence that may occur is because steel is softer than stainless steel, however I think it would all depend on the muffler and nothing else.

Yeah and like 03OrangeSVT said, aluminized exhaust has been used for a long time and holds up well, I welded a exhaust out of aluminized steel tubing from pepboys for an offroad truck(it was for its cheapness, the truck was constantly going through mud), then sprayed the welds with high temp paint and the exhaust lasted for 3 years before the truck got sold(it may still be on there for all I know, it was in good shape when I sold it).

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
FWIW I've also seen STAINLESS exhausts erode away from the inside out because they were made from thin wall tubing instead of the thicker stuff.

The new aluminized pipe has very tough coating on it... I should know I've had to grind a bunch of it off to get welds to lay right.

Basically it all boils down to how cheap you go. Cheap stainless doesnt last much longer than cheap aluminized.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts