Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be ordering my winter tires for the 2011 SE at the end of the week... I have decided on 185/65-15 to keep the footprint narrow. Any input on the General Altimax Arctic vs the Hankook Ipike? Both are a studdable winter tread... not a studdless ice & snow tread. Our part of the midwest generally has snow... but not many ice storms... my only experience has been with the Firestone Winterforce.

·
.Flat Out.
4,794 Posts
i've had two sets of the General Altimax Arctics and i put the same tires on my girls RSX, i couldn't ask for a better tire. i drive with confidence and recommend these tires to anyone that asks about snow tires. good choice on keeping them narrow, this helps a ton.

·
I don't care
8,446 Posts
i've had two sets of the General Altimax Arctics and i put the same tires on my girls RSX, i couldn't ask for a better tire. i drive with confidence and recommend these tires to anyone that asks about snow tires. good choice on keeping them narrow, this helps a ton.
This basically mirrors my own experience with this tire. Great tire for the money and I think it's one of the most underrated winter tire out there.

·
Registered
251 Posts
+3 on the General Altimax Arctics - had 'em on a Scion xA and had no problem up here in the winter even with such a light car.

Bit of a backgrounder on the Altimax Arctics.
Continental owns General Tire.
Continental owns Gislaved (Swedish tire co.)

Gislaved used to put this tire out as their Nordfrost 3 (current tire is now Nordfrost 5).

This tread pattern has now been copied (possibly licensed?) by quite a few manufacturers however tire compounds differ and therefore so does the performance/handling in the winter.

Continental seems to have brought the Nordfrost 3 to General as the Altimax Arctics to bring a proven winter tire to the N. American market.

They perform better than the ipike W409's even though they look pretty similar, however, if you're getting this year's Hankooks, they have apparently made a "grippier" compound (no reviews/results as to how they compare to the Altimax Arctics though).

I just bought a set of Altimax Arctics in 195/65R15 for my '12 Titanium (factory size on the 'S').

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys... just what I was looking for... informed, intelligent input... once again... thanks a load.

Will post a pic when they come off the delivery van.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the General Altimax Artics mounted today by Bestone Tire in Evansville... they got me 0% interest for 6 months (leaves more cash for xmas gifts...), got my tires in 3 days as promised... and gave a problem free install. I can pay the account off when tax refund comes & order some alloys for the Hankooks that came stock.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
you dont need the input now but I have those as well... good quiet tire and excellent grip. Been waiting for snowfall to go see how they are this year.

plus I think the tread design is awesome. Pics of mine because I love them. ha.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah... I was really surprised at how quiet they are.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Just picked up a set of these yesterday. I have ran Blizzak WS-60s when I had my SVTF, and Viking snowtechs the past two winters on my ST. We'll see how they do, as I have a decent tire selection to compare to. I'm moving to CO for about 8 weeks this winter to ride, so they will get tested!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Finally got an inch and a half of WET sloppy snow while I was at work the end of last week. The college student that the school district sent to work with me over semester break rode with me to the lumber yard at the edge of town for some hardware that morning... and I caught him checking my tires when we got back to the school. He had driven his Mom's Corolla in that morning and had to be careful with the throttle to keep from spinning the tires. He noticed that I was nailing the throttle just like I did in the summer without spinning... and had to check out what tires I was running.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts