Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
battery is not charging and have a smell and noise coming from the alternator. it is a new battery(1yr) so i am guessing alternator. any suggestions and tips on replacement.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
i have a stock alternator i can sell to you super cheap, i know it works i'm using it now :p i have a high output one i need to put in.

i can also tell you everything you need to know about changing the alternator.. as i've done it 6 times (i tend to blow them up with my amplifier and sub)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks but i live in toronto and i want to get it fast.plus i will have to pay for boarder cross shipping so i might as well buy it here

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
ok, no problem, you can get them at any parts store thier about $180 USD so probably $240 CAD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alternator problems

i am still looking for ideas about whether it is the alternator or not. as i said before, the battery in not charging and there is a smell and noise coming from the alternator.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
chances are, it IS the alternator, you can change it in under an hour if you know what your doing

·
Registered
11 Posts
Heres a quick way to tell if it the alternator or not. check your battery voltage with a multimeter while the car is off. you will have probably in the range of 10Volts DC - 12vdc. Now start the car up, and the battery voltage should read in the range of 13.5vdc-14Vdc. Most of the time if your alternator is out you wont see any real change in the voltage or you might see a light drop in voltage. Also there is a company on ebay thats selling 170amp alternators called "LOAD BOSS" So far it has put up the best fight with this system has a lifetime warranty too. it lasted me 10 months before draining the life from it.

Can you show me the 1 hour way of pulling and replacing this thing? I'm on my fourth now due to my stereo (2500watt). I've now got 2 alternators that have lifetime exchange so when one blows I slap the other in. heh.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
anouther way to test your alternator is to start your car and unplug the battery.

if the car dies your alternator is an 8 pound paper weight

1 - 10 of 10 Posts