Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine is idling pretty low lately, around upper 500RPM lower 600RPM. The engine will vibrate in a noticable manner at those RPMS until I start moving again. It will sometimes stay at 750RPM, but will dip down if I lets say...use the power windows or press the break while I am in park. I also have excessive electrical flickering at idle.

In my troubleshooting, I decided to disconnect the positive cable to my battery after I started the car. It stayed running, but as soon as I turned on my headlights it died. From what I know this would lead me to conclude that my alternator is the culprit.

Would I be correct?

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
I've kind of been having the same problem. At an idle with the headlights on and my CD player on, my headlights will flicker a little bit, and my info screen on my cluster will flicker too.

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
get a voltmeter and watch the voltage on the battery to see if it drops real low.

also give it some gas voltage ought to be around 13.3 volts at idle and 14.4 when the alternator is full field. regardless if you are seeing voltage around 12.6 with the car running it doesn't look like it is charging.

it may just not be good during idle.

also give your Idle Air Control and cleaning. it can be sluggish or even clogged

1 - 3 of 3 Posts