Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know why on my 2002 zx3 focus alternator wires could be all melted. I've had a coolant leak when the pressure is up not sure if this might have caused it. Mechanic said 400$ to fix. Don't have time to do it myself nor the tools. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech. Chat

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Easy fix on your own. Summit has the pigtail,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco-5716pt/overview/

Some solder, soldering gun, heatshrink(goes over the wire before soldering), a blow dryer(heat gun is better)and pair of wire strippers. There are many soldering tutorials on YouTube. Very easy to do. Match up the wires one by one making sure that the pigtails are facing the same way, cut the old pigtail off about 3 inches past the damaged area, strip wire, slide a 1-1/2 inch piece of heatshrink over the wire and sliding it down the wire and out of the way, take the two stripped ends and twist together, solder them, let cool for a few minutes, slide the heatshrink over the soldered area, apply heat from the hairdryer or heatgun moving it up and down the heatshrink until it melts around the insulation of the wire. Then repeat one wire at a time, check your work, plug the pigtail into the alternator and you are done!

You repair will cost under $70.00 max. You save $330.00 spending an hour finding supplies and 20 mins under the hood.

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
As said think about where you'll ever get paid that much an hour anywhere else. Not having time may well be true but throwing away money on that fix is as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts