Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning after I dropped off my little girl at school, went home, the lights dimmed and the engine died on me right at the garage. Long story short it was the alternator. Had the battery checked and it needed only to be recharged. The local stealership sold it to me at 250.00 plus tax on exchange. If anybody needs pointers on how to replace it, let me know. I ended up taking the car to a friend's repair shop, and it took us quite a while to replace it. I kinda memorized all the steps for future reference. [clap]

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
mine went out not to long ago but i just took to an alternator shop and they fixed it for about 60 bucks. and i only took me about thirty to take it out and put it back in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
checked the local auto parts store, no body stocked it. Besides I wanted the OEM quality with a good warranty, Oreilly said they could order it, but with the Labor Day weekend I didn't want to be without a car.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I've done a few duratec alternators myself working at ford, its pretty easy if you have a lift.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have an 05 zx4 st that needs a new alt. can anyone help me with directions on where to start and how to go about replacing it

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
I hear so many conflicting stories on swapping these things. Some people swear it's so easy and others say it's impossible. In my experience (done it twice) it's such a pain. First time took hours trying to figure it out, I think working off and on my dad and I spent 5 hours or so. Second time only took maybe an hour and a half total due to not having all the tools needed.

When I change it out I have to unbolt the engine on the pass. side and slide it forward to get enough clearance to pull the alt out. I've heard folks say after hearing that, no it's not necessary if you position it right, but I spun that thing around every which-way for an hour the first time and there's no way. I wonder if there's a difference for auto vs manual?

·
Registered
13 Posts
upon changing radiator change the CHT (little bucks) sensor behind it on the block which controls fans for radiator. If you're planing hard core experiments with hydrogen (brown gas) upgrade alternator now to more amps now.

just figured my little input

1 - 10 of 10 Posts