Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my focus to the mechanic because i have replaced the battery and now the alternator 3 times!! because i was geting no charge so this mechanic said it was the cable between the alternator and junction box he said it has a large amp fuse in it thats blown and needs to be replaced he said it would be almost 400 bucks ford told me the part was like 90$ anyone know anything about this or can give me some tips or advice thanks alot every one.
how hard would it be for me to do this?

car is a 2003 ford focus se 2.3L

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
These cars have problems with the pigtail and connector that plugs into the back of the alternator presenting the same problems you've described. Usually one of the wires is loose in the connector- preventing it from charging the battery or energizing the alternator powered circuits.

You might want to see another mechanic. 3x is too much IMO. I'm sorry for you that you didn't check here first. We'll be happy to give all the advice we can to help you work on your own car if you can get it to a place where you can work on it.

It is also possible that he is correct, however it could be repaired cheaper than $400 by yourself. Copper wire is cheaper now, but Ford's wiring harnesses aren't.

The pigtail is available from the dealer, and is a lot cheaper than $400. We also have dealers who work with us on this site to bring our members much lower prices than anywhere else in the nation.

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
Just wondering. Do you have a automatic or manual transmission?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts