Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently began having a problem with my car's electrical system. The thing that red flagged it to me was that my amp (powering my sub) would only power on with the car off, but when I turn the car on, the amp goes into protect mode. It had been hooked up the way it was for a long time with no issue so I knew it wasn't a wiring issue, although I checked anyways. No luck. I bought a new battery, thinking maybe the old one was just fried, I mean it was 7 years old so it was probably on its way out anyways. Same problem. I grabbed my handy-dandy multimeter (should have done this first) and found that my electrical system is pushing 16.3 volts when the car is running! So I want to replace my voltage regulator now. Is there any way to replace this by itself, or will I have to put a whole new alternator in?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
the regulator is pretty easy to change but the problem is the rear bearing spacer. You have to break the spacer on disassembly. I have not found a source for new spacers, so if you do find one PLEASE let me know, I have 3 alternators in my closet waiting for a rebuild that are on hold because of this part.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
^^Duratec alternator I am assuming.

Honestly not many suppliers deal with individual parts for rotating electrical anymore. You could have it rebuilt but honestly for that price you could get a "new" one with a lifetime warranty and just swap it out.

Also moving you to the correct forum.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
the duratec and zetec both use a 6G so the (dis)assembly is the same.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Posted via FF MobileAnd don`t for get to check the infamous "pigtail" connector to the alternator..... if it doesn`t get the right feedback it won`t work right...

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
I should also mention that there are many different regulators for the 6G so make sure you get the right one. Color is not the only indicator, you have to check the part number.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should also mention that there are many different regulators for the 6G so make sure you get the right one. Color is not the only indicator, you have to check the part number.
Could you tell me what part number it is? Maybe send a link to where I might be able to get one? Also, is replacing this alternator myself doable? I am pretty proficient in working on my ride, but I don't want to start working on it and find out the hard way that it's beyond my expertise! I DO have access to a lift and a decent set of tools.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
replacing the regulator is actually pretty tough for a novice mechanic on the first try. I would recommend you just get a fresh alternator or one from a junkyard and swap it out. That shouldnt be too hard.

Besides, you'll never do it without a new spacer. I tried to and it ended up backing itself out 2 weeks later. All I heard was grinding noises coming from my engine bay, I thought I had thrown a rod. But it was just that the rotor was misaligned and scraping on the stator. And it cracked the housing. (once you crack the housing it is done for, might as well buy a new alternator)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So is it worth me trying to replace the alternator itself, or should I just take it in? Aside from the unit itself, what else should I order? New bolts, new belt, anything? Does the spacer come with a new unit?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
well obviously a new spacer will be in a new unit.

replacing the whole alternator with a new one (or junkyard one) shouldnt be too bad.

Depending on the age of your belt you might want to grab a new one

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Check that pigtail (plug in connector to alt.) as wire breakage (internal) and poor connections/connectors loose in plug have caused charging problems like yours.... even with a good alternator! So get the alt. checked B4 just replacing it... (free test)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I work at a rental car agency, and after my shift the other day I put my car up on the lift in the garage and looked at the alternator. I pushed the pigtail connector in a little tighter and followed the leads all the way to the battery, checking the connection at each harness. Next time I started my car, it was working perfectly! I'm so glad I didn't buy a new alternator yet!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Posted via FF MobileCool.... next time you`re under there, maybe unplug the connector, look it over, and reinstall with a little dielectric grease...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not a bad idea, will do! Hey quick question, I'm gonna put up a new thread but I figure you may know.. I just ordered fog lights for my car, now I have a fuse and a relay for them in the car, how do I actually get them to work in my car that did not come stock with them? Do I just have to replace my headlight switch with one that has the fog light option or is there more to it?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Answered to new thread, been debating how best to do this on mine... conversion kit for stock fogs doesn't seem to be avail. as a unit anymore...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts