Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, over the last two years I have replaced my alternator six times. I know I should not have to do that. Also, ever since I bought the car three and a half years ago the power steering has been acting up. I don't think much of it being that I can live without power steering. I am thinking that my PS pump is bad which is the reason it doesn't really work that great. My question is if my PS pump was bad, would that indirectly make my alternator go out so many times by creating unnecessary drag on the belt? I haven't tried replacing the PS pump yet, but I wanted to get some input on this problem I have before I did. Anybody else had this problem?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
If the P/S pump were dragging sufficiently, you'd hear belt screeching noises long before the alternator was effected. In fact I doubt the alternator would be affected no matter what. The extra load from a dragging pump would be transferred to the engine through the belt. The alternator is just along for the ride.....so to speak.

What brand of alternator have you been getting? After-market alternators from places like Auto Zone, are notorious for being failure-prone. Do you have any accessories that draw a bunch of current...like a monster sound system? That could do it to a low-output alternator. Are all the wire connections to the alternator in good shape? It would be a good idea to check, maybe replace them all. Adding extra heavy ground wires to the alternator/battery is a good idea. Last, have you had the system tested for problems, rather than just replacing alternators?

Good luck....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had it checked every time before I changed it out. Every alternator does come from Autozone as a "refurbished" product. I don't have anything system wise except for the stock Audiophile sub and amp (sub was replaced by an MTX 10") I know I will eventually replace the ground wires and the power cables progressively as time goes on. I just hate replacing those alternators every six months.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts