Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

saved from the grave
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a OEM Motorcraft alternator pigtail for my 2004 2.3 automatic. Any tips on the easiest way to get the plug off the alternator without taking my motor mounts out? My hand cant fit back there to unplug the dang thing. I may have my wife try but I doubt that will work. Any tips??? I am trying to do it without removing the whole alternator itself.

w/ my magic bag
Just ordered a OEM Motorcraft alternator pigtail for my 2004 2.3 automatic. Any tips on the easiest way to get the plug off the alternator without taking my motor mounts out? My hand cant fit back there to unplug the dang thing. I may have my wife try but I doubt that will work. Any tips??? I am trying to do it without removing the whole alternator itself.
Just a stab in the dark, but if you remove the passenger side & jack up the motor a little that should help.

Super Moderator
Moved this to "General Technical Chat" since it is dealing with a maintenance type issue. Fortunately for me I had the engine out when I changed the alternator. But I have had the experience of helping a couple friends with their alternators. That pigtail is positioned in an upward angle if you are looking at it from underneath. It's also in tight confines making it even more difficult to get to. About the only way you can get to easily is to remove the passenger motor mount and push the motor forward giving you a bit more space back there to work. I was doing some searching and found this video that could possibly help you get some ideas on how to get to it easier. Good luck to you.

Registered
I am trying to inspect and possible
replace the pigtail on my 2005 Focus ZX4. How do I get to it ? Do I really to have to remove the plastic shield / cover and unbolt the alternator to disconnect it ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts