Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I believe my alternator has failed. When I'm jumped to another car everything works fine, but if not, it poops out. So I'm fairly certain there. The next issue is replacing the damn thing. Mine's a supercharged SVT. Would it be easier to get in there from the bottom? I'm not sure how to go about doing this because the S/C might get in the way. Is there a write up I can't find out there, I found one for a zetec but I heard it's different. This is my daily and I need her running. Thanks for the help!

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
It's not really different at all. But, I've never done it with a S/C

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
How about some more diagnosis?

Should run fine with a good battery & bad alternator, but might not with a bad battery & good alternator without a Jump. All depends on battery condition & possible failure mode.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
So are you saying that if it is not connected to another cars battery, it stops running?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Battery. A jump from another vehicle should charge a good battery for more than 30 seconds of run time.
Load test it, but I'll bet you need a new one.

Not saying it's not your alternator as well...

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
CAn you get a battery/alt test done to help you diagnose? Most part starts test for free, as well as AAA if you a member.

When my alt went, a jump started it but then died not too long after. The test pointed to the alternator. Swapped the alternator and i have been good ever since. Well I replaced the original battery once after the alternator went but not surprising the battery went.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts