Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
i have a 04 svtf and sometimes the car wont start on the first try of turning the key but sometimes it will. then sometimes it wont even try to turn over. (the engine)
well today i drove back from abilene to arlington (tx) about 2-3 hour drive.
and when i'm taking the exit i need to take to get home i push the clutch in and put it in neutral. well while coasting to the light about 1/2 mile or so the car dies and i'm just coasting. power steering stops and powerbrakes. and the battery light comes on.
well when driving to my dads the car (in neutral again just coasting) the car dies. and did this again in the drive way of my dads.

i have a ford motorcraft battery and the battery is still good (got it tested at pepboys)
but the guy said if it was the alternator that was bad the battery wouldnt be as charged as it was (battery rated 590cca and it tested 550cca)

all i can think then is the 'chip' key that ford uses so you cant get your car stolen. i'm wondering if there might be a miscommunication with the key when its in the ignition maybe.
idk.
if you have any info, please help

·
Registered
387 Posts
its not the alt. sometimes while going into nuetral and coasting this car will die its just a flaw no one knows the real reason i dont think but maybe they do but as far as the car not starting sometimes could be alot of things from starter to bad ground wires

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
early focus's had a recall for their fuel pumps. especially when running with 1/4 tank of gas or less and turning.
the fuel pickup is in a bad place.
call your local ford dealer and give them your vin and see if your car is one in the reccomended changing range?

i had it done to my 01 and i never stalled again

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am not sure about the SVTF but all other Fords that use the idle air control motor can do this. I have found that as these motors get crud in them their reaction times slow a little bit. I might not hurt to pull it off the side of the throttle body and clean it out.
Ken

·
Registered
387 Posts
my 04 dies like that sometimes to man its just how they are, some solved it with a new tune but i think others it just kept on doing it, its very annoying

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
it sounds like an altrenator problem, but did the guy at pepboys check the altrenator too or just the battery?

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im going to replace the fuel filter maybe that will help a bit

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he checked just the battery.
but if the alternator was bad the battery wouldnt be charged up that high, it would be drained.
and the battery is 3 1/2 years old and it was 12.5 volts and 550cca.
which is too high if the alternator is bad

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well get the alt tested.
Also try starting the car and disconnecting the + cable. See if you car dies or starts acting funny. If it does then alternator is your problemooo!!!

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
disconnect the + cale before i start my car or after?

·
Registered
471 Posts
After of course :)) The battery is there to start your car, afterwards only the Alternator provides the power to your car. So when the car is running and you disconnect the + cable it shouldn't die or idle funny like it's about to die. Check it out. Also you can check the voltage on the alternator while the car is running.
Just get a multimeter and start up the car and check the voltage on the battery. It should be around ~13.5- 14, i believe. Mine is usually at 14... something

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Throttle Position Sensor is broke/not reading correct. It would explain both the extended cranking time and the stalling in neutral.

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is that one of the sensors above the clutch pedal?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Nope. It's the 3 wire sensor on the drivers side of the throttle body, 2 philips screws holding it in place.

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how much does it cost to fix?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
about $40

far as I know the SVT and zetec are the same TPS. Local Parts store may have one on hand

1 - 16 of 16 Posts