Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my battery light on, the strange thing is that I was able to drive 40 miles or so last night with my headlights on, I thought I would drain the battery out so I kept driving waiting for the car to stop, it never happened, the car runs fine and it even starts normally but after 5 seconds the battery light goes on again, was thinking on looking at the connector because I got to the conclusion that the battery is being charged.
Any other thoughts will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
If the light is on it will eventually get you stranded, have had this problem a few times. Have the alt and battery tested, most of the time is the regulator, go OEM do not buy replacements ECU is sensitive to "regulate" the charge and the light will stay on. While in there check continuity of the pigtail, had to change it in mine too.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had this same exact problem happen to me TWICE!

Both times it was the Alternator. I'm not saying this is exactly your problem, but if your battery light is coming on... don't just wait to get stranded, fix it.

Like Mother Focus said, go through and test everything. You are better off pin pointing the problem then just throwing parts at it.

Best of luck. [thumb]

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
The light comes on if the Min voltage isnt met , this doesnt mean the alt isnt still puting out voltage and its also RPM related , get a xcal scan tool and see what the voltage is before you just go changing parts

Tpm

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, just went to oreily and got the alternator tested, they told me one solenoid or something like that was bad on the alternator, so I got a ford reman and a new connector, I just got finished installing the new one it took me around 2 hrs to get it done, in my case it was easier to take it off from below ( JRSC), I had to remove the oil filter, loosen the passenger side mount, removed the doggone mount and loosen the center nut on the drivers side mount to have enough play and room to remove and loosen the alternator, obviously also set the coolant reservoir a side and got help from a friend ( this is definitely a two person job).
1. Loosen the accessory belt and remove the belt from the alternator
2. Loosen both alt bolts (10mm) and before you take them out completely...
3. Go below the car and loosen the bolt holding the positive cable to the alt (10mm)
4. Now take the alt bolts out completely and hold the alt with your hand or have your friend hold it for you
5. From below the car now you can take the connector out, in my case the JRSC is on the way and the only way to unplug it is from below, your friend can now turn and twist the alt without pulling the connector too hard and you can reach it from below.
6. With the connector removed now you have the alt free to take it out, I had my car on two small steel towers and a small jack with a wood holding the engine on the passenger side, also just removed completely the three bolts holding the mount, that way you can move the engine if you need to
7. To install the new one just put it back from below, if you have a JRSC like I do, plug the connector first and the bolt that goes close to the engine, that way you can install the remaining bolt with the bushings and the steel piece that bolts to the nose of the JRSC, everything else is reverse of removal.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Also good to do a careful visual inspection of your connector/wire runs to the alternator as a first step. The wiring on these things is incredibly thin. When my charge light came on, I found a broken wire at the alternator connector had tripped it. Simple connector change out and all was good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have been having the same issue. I cleaned my cables (at the battery) really good and it the light did not come on for days. But it started again today. I'm going to get it checked out again at autozone and go from there. I have a feeling it is the alternator.

How much did you pay for one?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I just want to add to this thread for those with ongoing alternator problems. If you keep going through alternators you should think about the power cables going from the alternator to the starter and then the battery. They can go out or get corroded cause electrical problems such has hard starting, no charging, and other crazy things. Went through 3 alternators before replacing the cables, never had a problem after that. Just wanted to throw that out there.

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
I just want to add to this thread for those with ongoing alternator problems. If you keep going through alternators you should think about the power cables going from the alternator to the starter and then the battery. They can go out or get corroded cause electrical problems such has hard starting, no charging, and other crazy things. Went through 3 alternators before replacing the cables, never had a problem after that. Just wanted to throw that out there.
Yep I had the same issue fixed all the wiring etc..new alt and now no problems [thumb]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts