·
FoFo Quebec!
1,486 Posts
Indirectly yes, if you have a 3000w sound system hooked to it [;)]

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was just wondering if maybe if an alternator started failing if it would affect the gas mileage at all.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Possible. If a bearing were to go, or a short... anything that would create a load on the alternator would create a load on the engine and lower your mileage. How much it would lower your mileage is a good question...

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
OR... if the alternator stopped charging, it would actually increase your mileage. A little.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But wouldn't the alternator stopping charging kill the battery?

Our alternator just went out and we got it fixed. I was trying to figure out if maybe that is the reason why our mileage had gone downhill over the past few months.

·
Registered
384 Posts
A poor charging system will affect your millage, If the altanator need more voltage to make up for a lack it will put more load on the alt which decreases gas millage. Or if its just not putting out enuf voltage you will loose some spark energy killing millage again.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
just remeber to do your regular maintence like fuel filter, oilchange, plug wires and airfilter change. Thats about all you can do for fuel milage. Also if they are putting more ethanol in gas your milage will go down a bit too ethanol does not have has much energy per volume has gas does so that hurts milage too. Plus the gas for summer is a little diferent that winter gas too. DOn't ask how much different I do not know I just know that they have different formulas for the different driving seasons.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
ammorgan said:
But wouldn't the alternator stopping charging kill the battery?

Our alternator just went out and we got it fixed. I was trying to figure out if maybe that is the reason why our mileage had gone downhill over the past few months.
Apparently yes, but keep up on the routine maintenance to be sure your car is running in the best condition at all times. Like was mentioned before, a bad alternator can produce more drag on the engine, and lower power output which translates into lower voltage at the spark plugs meaning inefficient combustion and less power produced by the engine. All this can suck up some fuel.

At least you finally found the problem!! [thumb]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts