Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was leaving the race track last night after runnin my car for a few hours when my ABS light and E-Break light came on, then all my gauges dimmed. So I pulled over and notcied sparks comming from the area of the alternator. So I turned the car off. At the time I had my underglow on, system blairing, lights and brights on. I restarted the car and it was normal. So I started home and 15 min from my house, everything became very dim all the gauges turned off and so did my head lights but the car still drove fine. I was able to make it to a friends. I restarted the car and on start up it sounded like a car with a dead battery haven a hard time turnin over. Im almost 100% sure that it is my alternator. the car runs perfectly no performance issues just no power. Any opinions or comments would be great

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Sounds exactly what happened to Russ (Darth Focus) when his alternator died. Not sure what makes an alternator die.

·
Registered
607 Posts
use of it of course......and heavy load conditions. Todays alternators are have greater loads to handle i.e. all the electronics in cars today. If I recall as well the generators as they were called also were a lot stronger in output

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I had my alternator replaced at 35,000 miles because it went bad. I'm lucky it happened right before my warranty was up. I had nothing hooked up that would cause an extra pull on the alternator, it just went bad. My battery light came on and I started smelling this funny bitter burning smell, like it was burning battery acid. Then they fixed it, no plroblems since then.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice it just sucks cause to replace the alternator i have to take the supercharger off which is no fun at all :(

·
Registered
459 Posts
My SVT needs one also , but I can't find it for less then 180$.
Basicly i'm sweating it off right now , by not using my AC, my alternator still pulls through just fine.
Hope it lasts :p

·
Registered
607 Posts
Portuga said:
My SVT needs one also , but I can't find it for less then 180$.
Basicly i'm sweating it off right now , by not using my AC, my alternator still pulls through just fine.
Hope it lasts :p
honestly your alternator "could" last another 6 months or can crap out tomorrow. Here's the deal if it craps out on you get stranded you'll have to pay for towing plus a new alternator.

best of luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts