Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this past saturday the battery light came on and the car was stalling when i would come to a stop. i replaced the alternator with a reman. one from advance auto parts. everything was running fine on the test drive till about 10 minutes in the headlights were dimming and my gauges were turning off and on. when i got home there was some battery acid on top of the battery. i figured its a bad alternator so the next day i returned it and got another one. when they tested it it was putting out 17.26V. i put in the new one and the same thing happpened again.

is it ANOTHER bad alternator or could this be something else?

thanks,
Joe

NOTE: engine is Zetec

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
I would recommend checking the alternator pig tail. The wires at the connector are known to go bad or pull out of the plug.

Part # 1U2Z-14S411-TA

my dealer wanted $46, Tousley had MSRP of $39 and "your" price of $26. I was able to get my dealer to give it to me for the $26.

Give that a try, its a pretty cheap fix if that is it.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
this past saturday the battery light came on and the car was stalling when i would come to a stop. i replaced the alternator with a reman. one from advance auto parts. everything was running fine on the test drive till about 10 minutes in the headlights were dimming and my gauges were turning off and on. when i got home there was some battery acid on top of the battery. i figured its a bad alternator so the next day i take it returned it got another one and the same thing happpened again.

is it ANOTHER bad alternator or could this be something else?

thanks,
Joe
There's your problem. I've seen people go through several before getting a good one. They use crap internals to save money.

That being said, make sure that you don't have a short in your grounds killing your alternators.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Benkap^^^^ knows His stuff... I got my reman alternator from autozone and im having trouble with just got my second one waiting to have it put in..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts