Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently finished a brake and suspension repair. The car was unstarted on jack stands 3 months. The battery was pulled after a month. A new battery was installed and the car started fine and drove about 1 mile with no problems.

The next day I drove a mile to a carwash and then the car would not start. The airbag light was on, a red light flashed near the warning flasher switch. The airbag light went out then an engine light came on. Then the oil light came on. I waited awhile and then the car started, then stopped about a quarter mile later. I waited 5 minutes and the car started but no gauges shortly after it started. The car ran rough for 3/4 mile but that allowed me to almost get the car home. I pushed it the last block. I waited 10 minutes and it started and I parked it in the garage.

Is this a bad alternator? I understand if I hold the trip odometer button on start (or turning of the key) this runs a diagnostic showing me alternator output?

Input on this would be appreciated. I'm unfortunately not near the car for a few days but desperate to get it running!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
If it is showing a battery light, then that would be an indicator of an electrical system issue. If it is the CEL then you should scan it for codes.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yup - X2 on that....

Battery warning light SHOULD come on if it's an electrical issue, and NO - sitting generally WON'T kill an alternator, short of a year in a corrosive environment... If it's bad, is coincidental....

Luck!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Is this a bad alternator? I understand if I hold the trip odometer button on start (or turning of the key) this runs a diagnostic showing me alternator output?
Key off, press odo reset, turn key on, and continue to hold odo reset until the display reads [gage] and the needles sweep around. Now press and release the odo reset button to scroll through the selections. You will go through quite a few, and many will make no sense. You're looking for one where the display reads [bat 12.3] or whatever your battery voltage is. Now to test the alternator, start the car without turning the key off, and the odometer should stay in test mode. Higher voltage would indicate that the battery is being charged by the alternator.

Now, the display might read [bat 0] but you have a good battery that's been tested with voltage in place. In that case, I'd start checking the alternator pigtail for mouse damage. They love to chew on wires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My 2002 ZX5 Codes Read

GAGE, 888.8, bulb, r22, E001, dtc then flashes 9218, 000.0, 037.0, 0856 Appears to be RPM), 050.t (when not running 017.t) , F237,
L254, 124.F, 066C, 080C, 610.9, Ab-H, Cr-H, 1L-L, Cr-H, A-6d, 6-08, C-C1, d-36, 0134, 1255, 2249, 3255, 4236, 5000, 6000, 7000, P103, P200, P300, P400, GAGE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts