Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My black 2004 SVT ZX5 EAP hit a Mercedes that ran a stop sign. No damage to me but the insurance company wants to declare the SVT a total loss.

I'm considering rebuilding it or perhaps buying another low mileage SVT, but before I do, I'm curious about alternatives to the SVT.

I love its 6-speed Getrag, the 170 HP engine, the Recaro seats, the 15-spoke wheels, the handling and the hatch.

Are there any similar cars I should be looking at?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
My black 2004 SVT ZX5 EAP hit a Mercedes that ran a stop sign. No damage to me but the insurance company wants to declare the SVT a total loss.

I'm considering rebuilding it or perhaps buying another low mileage SVT, but before I do, I'm curious about alternatives to the SVT.

I love its 6-speed Getrag, the 170 HP engine, the Recaro seats, the 17-spoke wheels, the handling and the hatch.

Are there any similar cars I should be looking at?
No damage & the insurance company wants to total it? 1st, I'd look up & see from a couple of sources w/ the milege/cond to see what your car is worth. 2nd, take it to a body shop that you use or like, maybe a few & get a quote/esam. & see what the difference is. Sounds like its $3500.-$4500. worth of damage. If you love the svt, Then I'd keep w/ a svt whether its yours or another one. Who knows you might find a lower mileage one. Let us know what happens. A blk zx5 eap svt is awesome.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^This

Pics please

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Plus you can transfer everything to a stock zx3 except the front bumper and lip which can be found in the Buy Sell Trade section.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks to me like the damage is to the body work (both front quarter panels, bumper, grille, hood, what's immediately behind the grille, radiator, and the front cross member in front of the radiator. No obvious frame damage. No broken glass. Still rolls fine. Leaks anti-freeze

Attachments

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Remove the battery & box & see if the frame horn is bent or tweaked. Man thats a real bummer. DON"T let the insurance company f*&^ u around. Figure out what its worth & let them know its a low production car & a eap too. Plus what ever mods you have. I'd be great if you can get it hauled to a body shop to figure out how much vs the insurance estaimaters. As they can low ball you & then the b/s would use cheap or repop parts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The insurance company values it at $6265. With 130,000 miles on the car, that's probably close to reasonable.

(Yah - the seats are great!)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The insurance company values it at $6265. With 130,000 miles on the car, that's probably close to reasonable.

(Yah - the seats are great!)
& is that w/ it being a eap? So what are you thinking?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, that's with it being an SVT EAP.

I'm taking the photos to a few auto body shops tomorrow. I'll see what they estimate the repair will cost. If I decide to repair it, the insurance company will pay the tow to whichever shop I choose.

And I'd still like to hear about alternatives.

The Fiesta ST looks nice but is a bit small.

Anyone have other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
If the fiesta st is too small I would go for the focus st. I could get you a good deal on one if you went that route.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've read the Edmunds 2013 Focus ST long term report. They were enthusiastic about it.

Seems like one worthy alternative might be a VW GTI or a Golf R.

Any others?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts