Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI GUY'S
well ive ask this question before about my problem with the cooling fan's that don"t work.the car 2002 ford focus station wagon zeteck motor with A/C.
the problem the fan's will not turn on and engine will over heat, need to run heather core to releive heat.turning on A/C will not make fan run either

so far: I have tested and replace the 3 fan relay and the 2 diode fan.no change's still no fan,all fuse are O.K. fan's work when whe jump from battery dirrect to fan booth fan's work.the A/C is not cold almost warm.
one thing is that the 30 amp fuse in the big box under the hood as no current to it is this normal. it's #F12 in the main box why is this fuse with out power any idea.Ive been stomp by this probleme any help is appreciated
again thank you

Daniel

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know what it causing your problem, but one idea could be the temp sensor that triggers the relay or the pressure switch on the AC.

Did you check the fan resistor between the fans? Alot of other people have had that problem. I am replacing my fans tonight, but that is because when I jumped them one did not work.

I would also check grounds and connections for the fan circuit (something I was told about on this forum and plan to do tonight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive done a lot of those thing but the weird probleme is no current to my 30 amp fuse in the main box under the hood..would you check when everything is off if you have some power to that green 30amp fuse.to do that use a teste light put clip to ground of BATT. and put the other end(needle point) to the top off the fuse the one with power will light up the teste light...lol
thank's
dan

·
Registered
167 Posts
If the fan is not turning on for both the AC and engine temp I highly doubt it would be both sensors at the same time. I would check all the grounds, and wires. Check all your relays. See if when you turn on the AC you hear a click or if it sounds like the fan is trying to turn. It might just be the fan is shot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no sound if the A/C is turn on and there's no power at the plug that goe's at the fan's.my main trouble is that there is no power at the big fuse in the main fuse box it's fuse F12 green 30amp. on other similar car's there's power to that fuse as anyone ever experience this problem.

and yes both fan's work if dirrect power is applied...lol
Dan

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Check your owner's manual, those fans should have relays. The location of the relay will be in the owner's manual. Mine might be different due to year model differences. Anyway, it should be a typical 30a relay, so swap it with another typical relay like the headlights, and turn the lights on. That should tell you if it's working.

You have a CHT- cylinder head temp sensor that sends a signal to the ECU, then that tells the fans to come on according to the temp. It's not like back in the EEC-IV days when you had a temp sender, and a temp switch. I'm fairly certain it also gives the dash temp, but there has been some discussion about whether or not the dash temp gauge is actually relative to anything- or simply a fake gauge.

OK, edit, sorry didn't see you'd already replaced relays. UM wow, those are fun to remove. If you're not getting voltage to ground on one side of that fuse- then you should start looking for damaged wiring underneath the fuse box. You can unbolt the fuse box, and there should be some clips holding the wires together. You should have enough room to work on the back of the fuse box.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Something is wierd here - I'm looking at the Factory Wiring Diagram Manual for the 2002 focus, and it shows F12 feeding the fuel pump relay, no connection to the cooling fan control circuit. There is a 30 amp F2 involved in the fan low speed circuit but you should not expect to see voltage at it unless K45 (aka R15, engine cooling fan relay) is operated, which requires that K13 (aka R8, the power hold relay) is operated, which requires that the key be in the on position.
It the A/C doesn't blow cold, even when the engine temperature is normal, you have an A/C problem, probably low refrigerant, that is preventing the A/C dual pressure switch from sending a signal to the fan control circuit. This would explain lack of high speed fan operation.
Lack of low speed fan operation is likely caused by a failed engine cooling fan resistor and/ot its wiring harness.
If you will send me a PM with your direct (real world, not PM) email address, I'll send you some info which should help you understand the circuit and solve your problem.
My Mantra: The most valuable single tool a focus owner can have is the Factory Wiring Diagram Manual. It is often available on ebay, and always worth the price!!
Good luck, Monoblanco

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
I assumed he had the key on, didn't think about the relay. For diagnostic purposes, remove the fan control relay, and jump a wire from one high current pin to the other so that the relay is no longer switching.

Once again, I'd be looking for the grounding point on that circuit to make sure it is undamaged and doing it's job.

About the relay/fuse location: Wagons and sedans were all Hencho en EUA in 02, and all hatchbacks were Made in Mexico. It is possible there might be some wiring differences- but I don't know. Always use your owner's manual for your vehicle to verify relay and fuse locations. There might be a change as simple as nomenclature- in other words R16 is in the same physical position as R8 in another vehicle. Always double check- you'd be surprised at the silly things that can change which make no logical sense.

Thanks for the good info Monoblanco[thumb]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well all the test were done ignition turn on and off just to make sure and I might have mist look the# but it is the green 30 amp fuse under the hood that as no power!!!
Dan

·
Registered
131 Posts
flag72-
Please detail what tests you did so we can help you. Also please identify which fuse you are dealing with by number - all 30 amp fuses in the focus are green and, depending on which options are equipped, there may be more than one of them in the BCB. When using the test lamp, did you check both sides of the fuse socket? It is not possible to know which side is the supply side just by inspection. And remember, you should not expect to find voltage on its supply side unless K45 is removed and its socket's 3 to 5 terminals are jumpered.
Good luck, Monoblanco

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
The relays are what tell the fans to turn on, so Mono is right, without the relay being jumped- you won't find any power at that fuse.

Another way to test a relay is to swap it for another relay with the same part number on a circuit you can more easily test.

OK, never mind, that trick won't work- at least on my car. The fans in Duratec engines use a 50a fuse and larger 50a relays that don't have a suitable swap. You could swap the ignition relay to test, but that's about it.

If I were you I'd compare the relay to other relays and find something that can be more easily tested. 90% of all electrical problems in any vehicle are at the device- so be certain that the ground for the fan circuit is good, the plug in for the fans is not damaged from the heat of the exhaust, and the fan resistor is also working properly. For that you will have to jump your relay. To double check yourself- look at the wiring diagram on relay. It should give you numbers for each pin, and a schematic that shows a set of normally closed and normally open contacts. Normal operation is without power. The ones you'll be concerned with are the normally open contacts. Now look at the bottom of the relay to find the numbers that correspond to the pins so you can interpret the diagram. Use a good jumper to jump the appropriate points in the relay socket. That should force operation of the fans if the fans are going to operate. When you look at your fuse/relay diagram in the owner's manual you might have a total of 4 relays- two for high speed and two for low speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well guy's I found the probleme :( after looking at all the other possibilaty you'll never guest what cause the probleme.the resistor ad over heated so much that the harness to it ad melted ,replace harness and resistor and BINGO it work's yahoo.thank's so much for helping me out and trouble shoothing stuff with and now the probleme is resolve
again thank you
Daniel

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI GUY'S
well ive ask this question before about my problem with the cooling fan's that don"t work.the car 2002 ford focus station wagon zeteck motor with A/C.
the problem the fan's will not turn on and engine will over heat, need to run heather core to releive heat.turning on A/C will not make fan run either

so far: I have tested and replace the 3 fan relay and the 2 diode fan.no change's still no fan,all fuse are O.K. fan's work when whe jump from battery dirrect to fan booth fan's work.the A/C is not cold almost warm.
one thing is that the 30 amp fuse in the big box under the hood as no current to it is this normal. it's #F12 in the main box why is this fuse with out power any idea.Ive been stomp by this probleme any help is appreciated
again thank you

Daniel
Hey my fan isn't coming on either and we tested it and my cooling fan diode us bad!! Question is where do you get this at and is that the correct name for it because I went to auto zone and they didn't have it and I can't find anything about it online anywhere to buy one and what it does keep pulling up doesn't look like mine that's on my car. I have a 2002 ford focus

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,506 Posts
Do you have a PZEV vehicle with 2 cooling fans? Are you speaking of D1 in the battery junction box?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts