Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost time to replace the tires on my 2013 ST. I've been very, very happy with the summer tires that came with the car, but before I replace them with the same, are there any better tires I should consider?

Current tires are Goodyear Eagle FI 235/40R18 95Y, tread 240, traction AA, temp A, made in Germany.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of depends on how you drive.
I tend not to break the speed limits, but I get up to them pretty quickly (no burning rubber, though). And by speed limits, I mean the ones on the white signs. The ones on the yellow signs are cheerfully ignored.

Meaning, on my frequent Highway 17 drives, I tend to get passed a lot on the straights, and held up a lot on the curves (by the people who passed me on the straights).

Thanks for the tire tips.

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
Check your local craigslist too. I found a complete set of mint condition ST wheels/tires for 900 bucks to use as our summer set.

Also have Blizzaks mounted on a set and a spare set of 4 stock ST tires as well lol.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Almost time to replace the tires on my 2013 ST. I've been very, very happy with the summer tires that came with the car, but before I replace them with the same, are there any better tires I should consider?

Current tires are Goodyear Eagle FI 235/40R18 95Y, tread 240, traction AA, temp A, made in Germany.
I've had my ST now for about 18 months and have put about 18K miles on it. However, the front tires are starting the wear thin. I know that performance tires don't last as long as all season tires for example, but I didn't anticipate the tires to last this short. For those who have changed the OEM tires, what did you switch to and what is the expected life of your new tires? I think I have about 2K tops left on my tires and I need to figure out what to replace my OEM tires with that will give me a good mix of performance and longevity. I would hate to have to change my tires every 18K.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would hate to have to change my tires every 18K.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I'll be lucky to get 10Kmiles out of my tires but then again, I usually sacrifice longevity for grip and I buy softer tires (R888 for example).

Seems like the stock tires (Goodyear F1) are quite firm and would last a little longer and perhaps that's what you need. I certainly would not go for all season type of tires though.

Look on the tire rack link above and pick the tires with the highest tread wear. That will certainly make you feel better about how long the tires will last.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I tend not to break the speed limits, but I get up to them pretty quickly (no burning rubber, though). And by speed limits, I mean the ones on the white signs. The ones on the yellow signs are cheerfully ignored.

Meaning, on my frequent Highway 17 drives, I tend to get passed a lot on the straights, and held up a lot on the curves (by the people who passed me on the straights).

Thanks for the tire tips.
I'm the same way.

I'd suggest the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. That is what I'm running, and they are an amazingly good tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMakeModel=Michelin_Pilot+Super+Sport

·
Registered
125 Posts
And by speed limits, I mean the ones on the white signs. The ones on the yellow signs are cheerfully ignored.
Those yellow ones are for big trucks and Camrys.

Those people are so annoying. They pass me like I'm slow because I'm following the speed limit, then slow me down later. There aren't many cars that can out-corner us...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those yellow ones are for big trucks and Camrys.
I get slowed down by a much greater variety than that. And ever notice that the people who pay attention to those yellow signs are the same ones who completely ignore the Slower-traffic-keep-right signs?

Those people are so annoying. They pass me like I'm slow because I'm following the speed limit, then slow me down later. There aren't many cars that can out-corner us...
Very true, but the problem is still partly Ford's fault for not including front-mounted machine guns in the ST3 package.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah......Didnt read the small print of "Not Recommended for Winter Driving." $700 for steelies and winter tires.
Yeah, if it gets below 40 where you live on a regular basis, you need some non-summer tires for those months. I got lucky - I'm getting a new set of Blizzaks on OEM snowflake wheels tomorrow for $700. They came with my acquaintance's car and he plans to just run all seasons in the winter here (not the worst idea - we don't get much ice/snow).

I thought it was almost $1k for a set of even the cheapest winter tires with TPMS on steelies, and went up from there. Tires that fit our wheels are roughly $200 a piece.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I get slowed down by a much greater variety than that. And ever notice that the people who pay attention to those yellow signs are the same ones who completely ignore the Slower-traffic-keep-right signs?
So true. Then again, everyone where I live ignores them. It is so widespread here that the local insurance company, PEMCO, produced a commercial,
"Northwest Profile #51 - Oblivious Left-Lane Occupant", which describes this very person (they account for something like 40% of the population here).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts