Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming home from Calgary on sunday and felt something not right in my suspension. I figured it was a balancing problem. So I go to Ford today and they put the tires on the machine. He brings me over and shows me what the tire is doing and it is all over the place. He says they are separating! I tell him i hit 170 once and averaged about 140 on the way home the day before and i get the you could have died your tires could have blown. So I'm like OMFG. So ya I need new tires I go tomorrow to put some on or book for the next day. I already have priced out some tires. I need All-Season because winter is around the corner. Then I'll worry about 17"s next year. So my car is riding on 195 60R 15's. I have priced out some 235 50 15's or 225 55 15's. I figure go with more tread to the ground and also make the tires look good with some width. The bigger tires fit very close to the 195's. speed may be out 2-3kph but thats not a problem and diameter is almost exact. Infact the 235's are exact same as the 195. These will become my winter only tires with the factory rims. What do you guys think of my idea? Do you think the bigger tires will look good? (nice fat tires under the focus) They are still low profile but fatter giving me more grip for winter. then if the 17's are not doable next year i'll have some good rubber till I can afford the 17's. They come with something like 130,000 warranty. [burnout]

·
Registered
705 Posts
I was like is he on crack till i say you are in canada i was like so 170 hmm turbocharged huge wing super drop then i realize kilometers LOL. Yeah a nice wider tire would be nice.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
225's rub, 235's rub more, if it's a winter tire, go narrower vs wider. stay with your stock size, pay less for the smaller tire, and invest some money into a nice set of 17x7 215/40's in the spring.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been looking on the net and I think I'm going to go with some 205 60 15's. Remember I may need the all-seasons for summer if I cant afford the 17x7's in the spring. So I think having the 205's aren't to much bigger but are bigger if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I actually heard that skinnier tyres are better for rain. Don't know about the snow. But yeah... save yourself some cash, and spend the money on the 17's next year.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the tires are done 205 60 15's. I got the michelin HydroEdge. I got them for 614.00 CDN installed. the 195 60 15's were only a few dollars/tire less so I went with the big tires. I like them and my car feels nice again. they seem to stick to the road very nicely. OH BTW I now have 140,000km tread warranty on them and hazard warranty. Free rotations and flat repair. Iam a happy camper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You buy those at a Sears FOCUS_ZTS?
Those are some damn good tires!
Sadly, I work at a Sears Auto Center!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got them from Ford. They could have got any tire I wanted. They phoned a tire place here in the city that they deal with. I came back 45 min later and they had picked them up and were ready for install. I sat and talked with one of the Sales guys for like 1 hour and the car was done. They were busy but got me in anyway. I have driven on them for a total of 1 hour so far and I am very impressed. they feel like they grip very well. I did a launch at a light and only had a little cherp then they grabbed hard and I was off. [driving] [burnout]

·
Registered
59 Posts
No_6 said:
I actually heard that skinnier tyres are better for rain. Don't know about the snow. But yeah... save yourself some cash, and spend the money on the 17's next year.
average sized tire with good tread for rain, need the tread to channel the water out from under neath your tire, and thin tires for snow, to push out the snow so that the tire hits the cement, where as wider tires have the tendency to flatten the snow, so you in sence still hydroplan, but on "ice' instead of water.
[thumb]

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was looking at my speedo the other day.....isn't 170 km/h about 110 mph? If that's the case then why would you damage your tires going 110mph? The tires have to be rated more than that.

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
if they aren't..shit I'm in for it cause I took my stocks at 110.....it was only for about less than a min but still got em there none the less
-Joe

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
T rating is 180kph my tires were T rating your fuel shut off is at 176kph and thats only 108mph. Also I was told that if the tread is very low then the tires can start to break down. Causing them to separate. And my tread was very low. Sucks but oh well I love the new tires i have.

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
pitchblackab said:
I was like is he on crack till i say you are in canada i was like so 170 hmm turbocharged huge wing super drop then i realize kilometers LOL. Yeah a nice wider tire would be nice.
me too!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts