Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
check this quote out "100% Synthetic Motor Oils are designed to give improved protection to HIGH OUTPUT,SUPERCHARED AND TURBOCHARGED PERFORMANCES VEHICLES" i doubt any of our focus are under this area.. i dont mean to dis you guys or ford... i love my FORD FOCUS PZEV 2.3...ITS THE SHIT but it aint no sports car guys... i am just saying dont waste 5-20 bucks on a quart of oil when .99 cents a quart will do the same protection and save you a shit load of money.[thumb] thats stuff they say is all bs just to get more money from you guys...iI SIT HERE AND LAUGH AT ALL YOU IDIOTS FOR WASTING YOUR MONEY HAHAHAHA WAIT STILL LAUGHING HAHAHAHAH A LITTLE MORE HAHAHAHA ****ING IDIOTS[}:)]

·
Registered
515 Posts
[sarcasm]Wow, that's a really intelligent post you have there, newbie...[/sarcasm]

·
Registered
793 Posts
Not entirely true, synthetics, specifically mobil one still prevent more wear over time, and last longer between changes

·
Registered
951 Posts
I use Mobil 1 synthetic.........Maybe I'm a ****ing idiot in your eyes, but at least I'm not a complete and utter DOUCHEBAG.

·
Registered
571 Posts
f*ckin great when people are confident enough of their quotes to post the source...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heres the source DUMB ****S

here you go keep on wasting your money on oil your car isn't made for ....maybe if you had a SVT FOCUS or some other car that is high performance[8]

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Synthetic oils were made to lubricate better in smaller areas while also lasting a longer time. It doesn't matter how *high performance* your car is. If you have a *high performance* car, it would help more so than dinosaur oil, though. I guarantee if you use synethic throughout your lifetime at set intervals, it'll last much much longer than another with regular oil.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
jamhole538 said:
check this quote out "100% Synthetic Motor Oils are designed to give improved protection to HIGH OUTPUT,SUPERCHARED AND TURBOCHARGED PERFORMANCES VEHICLES" i doubt any of our focus are under this area.. i dont mean to dis you guys or ford... i love my FORD FOCUS PZEV 2.3...ITS THE SHIT but it aint no sports car guys... i am just saying dont waste 5-20 bucks on a quart of oil when .99 cents a quart will do the same protection and save you a shit load of money.[thumb] thats stuff they say is all bs just to get more money from you guys...iI SIT HERE AND LAUGH AT ALL YOU IDIOTS FOR WASTING YOUR MONEY HAHAHAHA WAIT STILL LAUGHING HAHAHAHAH A LITTLE MORE HAHAHAHA ****ING IDIOTS[}:)]
First off, welcome to the forum. Secondly if you came here to start trouble I guarantee you won't last long. It's only your second post and we don't appreciate the foul language and name calling here.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Here we go again...
Can't we all just GET ALONG????????[bigcry]

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Does no one remember TheOtherRobert?? He loved to start fights in threads that were about oil. I dunno why - he was just set on the fact that he was right about oil and what kind to use...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Dude, I have been spending 7 bucks a quart on my SVTF, if only I had known this earlier I could have saved hundreds, AAARRGGHHH!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Keep on spending that extra couple bucks for synthetic. Mobil 1 has had a commercial running here in California stating that if you use their full synthetic in even the lowliest of mid-size sedans, after 100,000 miles and proper maintenance, they guarantee that there will be absolutely no signs of wear, whatsoever.

I'd assume that includes our Focii.

I, for one, will always put that couple extra dollars into maintaining my car. That way, if anything goes wrong with it, I'll know I did everything I could to prevent it. This includes waxes, vinyl and leather protectants, even more expensive tires.

·
Registered
571 Posts
jamhole538 said:

dear god, good thing you gave the sourse, otherwise we wouldn't have known that you MISQUOTED IT.

" Chevron Supreme 100% Synthetic Motor Oils give improved protection to high output, supercharged and turbocharged performance vehicles. " notice is says " give improved protection to...." it no where says they are designed for "high output" engines.

and as far your second comment about using oils that the engines where not designed for... well i'm looking at my owners manual, and right here in the "lubricant specifications" chart, it calls for a 5w-30 synthetic.... hmmm...

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
to the original postee, or anyone not familiar with lubricants:

$1/quart 'bargain' oils CANNOT stand up to the test of time. There are more ratings and specifications regarding oils than many people care to admit; oil is more than slippery fluid. Luckily for myself, I have a fair amount of experience regarding industrial grade lubricants to understand the facts. Basically, without getting too technical, cheaper oils tend to break down quicker than premium oils (Royal Purple, Mobile 1, Redline, etc.). This means that if you drive you car hard and really heat that oil up, or don't manage to change the oil at regular, reasonable intervals, your oil WILL breakdown. Ask any engine builder/rebuilder out there, and they will be able to spot an engine that has used cheap oils. Typically, cheaper oils will leave a brownish film on the surface of the engine...seems like nothing big to the unsuspecting eye, but under scrutinizing, you will see that the film is actually a layer of 'coked/heated-up' oil that has filled in the microscopic valleys inherent in any and all cast and machined surfaces. Now, the film causes the surface to be smoother than it originally was...sounds good, right? Not at all. These surface 'peaks and valleys' actually allow oil to remain on the surface via surface tension...which is necessary to properly lubricate AND cool your engines components. Obviously, there is much much more involved with this, but these are the basics. Sorry, if I got too technical, but I want people to be informed.

As a practical example, I worked with a guy who owned a high-horsepower street bike. After his break-in period with non-synthetic oil, he switched to Royal Purple synthetic. He dynoed the bike before and after the oil change, to discover a net gain of almost 5 hp. Another guy I know did the same in his drag car. He found 15 hp...granted, he was producing in excess to 600 hp, but the example remains valid...will you see a difference in hp in your foci? I don't know, but its something that I plan on looking into. My experience with my last VW showed me that synthetic oil smoothed my cold idle out and slightly increased throttle response...slightly. In addition, I measured about 1 mpg difference.

So, excuse the lengthy post, you can use whatever oil you want. Want to save a few bucks every few thousand miles? Go ahead...I hope it works out for you. Personally, I don't mind spending some more money if it means fewer problems down the road.

BTW, if anyone out there is a technical geek like myself and would like to know more about this subject, email me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Nick

1 - 20 of 38 Posts