• over a year

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i would like to make a pool on how long your wheels lasted painted with an after market paint like the duplicolor paint or what ever you rpainted them with

please respnd with what u painted your rims with and how long they lasted or have lasted in good condition.

·
Capital Obvious
2,562 Posts
I painted my wheels on my last focus. The paint was fine until the dealer put new tires on. Was about 4 months. The dealer chipped the hell outta them and stained them with their tire bead sealer. I used Krylon auto primer and charcol grey paint.. 3 caots of each. Then 3 coats of clear.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Mine have lasted a year or more, i primed (3 coats), then paint (3 as well), then 4 coats of clear and wet sanded after that, you don't have to wet sand them most people i know don't and they look great i just do it. All i can tell you to do is mask off the tires and don't use cheap paint the duplicolor works fine for them.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zach

did u paint your stock rims

u said you primed painted and clear coated
did u use duplicolor for of of this?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey pit

did u get yours powder coated??

ive been lookin at people who have painted theirs and doen it the rite way and they look as good as powder coatin but so much mor cheaper

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mine have been painted about 5 months or so and they are still holding up pretty good.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
actually, three of mine lasted more than a year. the back passenger side got sandblasted during some... ehem, spirited driving on some indiana dirt roads. it lost a little bit around where the center cap used to be. otherwise, they all look like I just painted them. I'm thinking of switching to a high gloss coat next winter instead of satin black. should be a little pimpier.

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
as long as you dont get in a rush and let each layer dry you will be ok, some will say you need to sand off the surface of the alloy to get it to grip good but thats a bit of over kill..my 1st set only lasted me for abour 4 months and my sideskirts lasted even shorter because i was rushed but when i did both of them over again they lasted quite nice, doing them in cold weather isnt a good idea and not too hot either, put them in your garage, crack it about half way and put a fan on them and leave them for abour 20 minutes between each layer and let the final coat sit for about 5 hours, you can put them back on the car just dont go drive for awhile, many thin coats will give you the best result, i used wheel paint from autozone

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the responces

lets keep postine lol im just tryin to decided how long on avarage they last and wheater its worth powder coatin or me paintin im leanin towards painting for sure

please keep the responses comin

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yeah i did the stocker's with duplicolor turned out fine but yeah don't rush it and there is no need to sand down the wheel just clean them. If you take your time and do it right you should have no problem with them lasting for a while.

·
Registered
373 Posts
bwojdyla said:
I'm thinking of switching to a high gloss coat next winter instead of satin black. should be a little pimpier.
Pimpier... Focus... uh huh[confused]

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Product: Duplicolor grahite wheel paint & wheel clear coat

Used it on my 16" winter wheels. The finish has no scratches or marring as of now. Being that they are winter wheels used in Colorado I think the paint job has held up very well.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
LastRites said:
Product: Duplicolor grahite wheel paint & wheel clear coat

Used it on my 16" winter wheels. The finish has no scratches or marring as of now. Being that they are winter wheels used in Colorado I think the paint job has held up very well.
If they lasted a winter in CO, that's impressive. Nothing but sand and gravel everwhere during snow events. You must not have to drive far.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bump

bumpizzlle

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bump

bump