Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 focus took a hard nose hit and now all the warning lights in the dash are on the the odometer is just dashes. Gas cap light, fuel light, door ajar light, battery light and the gas gauge doesn't work. Haven't drove it yet to know about the speedometer. Starts and runs fine after the repairs. Dash lights, high beam indicator and turn signals all work fine. The check engine and airbag light have been on for years- not concerned about those two.What am I looking for.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
07 focus took a hard nose hit and now all the warning lights in the dash are on the the odometer is just dashes...
There are lots of info/stories/threads here about odometer dashes. Make this your primary mission and your first repair. Once fixed, it might very well fix most of the remaining problems.

One common cause & cure for DASHES is a single damaged/broken/disconnected small ground wire which is attached with a small terminal lug onto the battery negative terminal; ultimately this wire travels into the Battery Junction (relay) Box ((BJB)); this is typically a black wire with an orange or yellow tracer (Blk/Orn) or (Blk/Yel). When this wire goes-out, the ground circuit for a majority of important relays is lost, to include the PCM Power Hold Relay = PCM is offline = DASHES.

HOWEVER, I do not recall DASHES with so many caution & warning lights that you are experiencing.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
...odometer is just dashes. Gas cap light, fuel light, door ajar light, battery light and the gas gauge doesn't work. Haven't drove it yet to know about the speedometer. Starts and runs fine after the repairs....
Whoops, I failed to read this properly. Please confirm that you have DASHES -and- your car engine starts and runs fine...???

All cars that I recall with DASHES = Engine will not start.

I am honestly right now on a heavy-duty pain-med prescribed drug, and should not be doing anything other than staring at walls or at a TV. I'm out for the rest of day and night. Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoops, I failed to read this properly. Please confirm that you have DASHES -and- your car engine starts and runs fine...???

All cars that I recall with DASHES = Engine will not start.

I am honestly right now on a heavy-duty pain-med prescribed drug, and should not be doing anything other than staring at walls or at a TV. I'm out for the rest of day and night. Cheers!
No problem, got the door ajar light to go out. Trunk wasn't latched. Yes it starts and runs okay. Current concern is the battery light, dashes on the odometer, the gas light, and the gas cap light. I'm gonna dump a can of gas in it to see if anything changes there. The kid was always good about keeping gas in it. But he also knocked a hole in the pressure line when he put it in the ditch. Could have pumped most of it out getting it back to the house.

·
Registered
18,241 Posts
As Marde suggests, it is extremely unusual to have a running car with the odometer dashes showing, indicating another oddball short or circuit damage not usual to the problem. The hit to front could easily have produced custom one-time damage not seen before. I'd still check the fender to battery black/orange or yellow pcm ground wire to make sure it's all right. There is a bundle of wires running down driver side that could have damage in them to affect the dash. Take the fuel cap and loosen and retighten to rachet to see if it just was loose, that will put out a normal light. I'd check both the lower fender rails at frame on both side where there are dedicated grounds to many of those things. May have produced a short in the instrument package itself, not impossible. I have done a similar Focus front accident thing and had to bare the harnesses up front to discover where the true damage was, the outer harness cover can cover accident flaws pretty well.

Marde hope you get to feeling better

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
@ Chicken Coupe

... I'd still check the fender to battery black/orange or yellow pcm ground wire to make sure it's all right...
To add additional clarity about that small ground wire... That wire is a direct shot from the BJB and it ends at the "small posts" on the Battery Negative Terminal lug. Separately, the small BJB ground wire is dependent on the Batt Neg to be properly grounded via (a different and larger wire) clean & corrosion-free connection onto the fender-well. Cleaning the fender-well ground points is crucial, and should be considered a preventative maintenance item in all Focus and in most other (aged) cars who use similar ground point attachments that are exposed to the elements and located inside the engine bay.

Like AMC said, you have a very unique situation with DASHES and yet the engine starts. DASHES are a visual indication that the PCM is offline, but not in this unique case. If your engine starts, the PCM is online, so that small ground wire must be functional and connected. Does not rule out some ground wire cleaning/maintenance tho. In your case, these DASHES are an indication that the SCP data bus is off-line -or- not connected to the instrument cluster (IC) -or- IC is messed up. I would first reseat all the connectors on the back of the IC... and kick the tires. Good luck.

Marde hope you get to feeling better
Thanks AMC. Ain't seen you in quite awhile. Atrial Flutter, required Ablation. I was told it took 6.5 hours, little longer than usual. Damn good drugs. Hopefully it worked, but wore me out and beat me up some. Happy to never watch it happen. Glad I did not wake up with a Sharpie marker symbol of a penis on my forehead. Doctor said they did not have to use the paddles on me too much -What!? Geez, thanks?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the help guys. Atleast I know what to look for now. There wasn't much of a ditch but there two rocks about the size of milk crated that he hit and ran over. Beat the car up pretty good. It's back together now though. When a lady pulled out in front of him three years ago, we put it all back together factory. It was marroon.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Wheel Tire

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
The check engine and airbag light have been on for years- not concerned about those two.What am I looking for.
Does a scan tool/code reader talk to the PCM when connected at the DLC?
Do you have any stored DTCs?
Paul

Reactions: Joe Mason

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate the help guys. Atleast I know what to look for now. There wasn't much of a ditch but there two rocks about the size of milk crated that he hit and ran over. Beat the car up pretty good. It's back together now though. When a lady pulled out in front of him three years ago, we put it all back together factory. It was marroon. View attachment 312872 View attachment 312872
View attachment 312872
A can of gas took care of the gas light and gauge. I checked it today and the speedometer is dead too. Where does the harness run and plug into the trans on this thing? It's the 5 speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate the help guys. Atleast I know what to look for now. There wasn't much of a ditch but there two rocks about the size of milk crated that he hit and ran over. Beat the car up pretty good. It's back together now though. When a lady pulled out in front of him three years ago, we put it all back together factory. It was marroon. View attachment 312872 View attachment 312872
View attachment 312872
I checked around the battery and fuse box. I didn't find any unattached wires but there's nothing on the small post.
Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Im not sure that post is used. What is the broken wire in the picture?

Paul

Reactions: Joe Mason

·
Registered
88 Posts
I checked around the battery and fuse box. I didn't find any unattached wires but there's nothing on the small post. View attachment 312874 View attachment 312874
Did you ever get this fixed yet??? Where is the smaller diameter ground wire??? Not shown in this photo opt. I usually clean my battery terminals and any ground connections which are visible even if they look good and are tight. Of course you have received plenty of technical advise on here. 👀🙏🙏🙏🦅🇺🇸

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you ever get this fixed yet??? Where is the smaller diameter ground wire??? Not shown in this photo opt. I usually clean my battery terminals and any ground connections which are visible even if they look good and are tight. Of course you have received plenty of technical advise on here. 👀🙏🙏🙏🦅🇺🇸
Just getting back to it, had to rebuild a front axle on a chevy truck. I haven't found any unattached wires near the battery. I landed a diagram of all the groundind points on the body under the hood. About to get it back up on stands to search for damaged wiring under the engine area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts