Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Anyone thinking of buying a 2016-2016 Focus or Fiesta DCT needs to watch this. Trust me, I have a ‘13 Focus DCT & it’s a piece of junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Update om my 2018, 6 months and almost 12K miles since purchase, 2 major changes since last posted, been using premiun 93 gas for the last 2 months and installed new evap canister purge valve aprox. 1.5 months ago, also have been doing this pedal reset procedure once a week(switch on, wait 2 sec, pedal fully down 5 sec, full release pedal 2 sec, switch off 5 sec, start drive normally), maybe placebo effect, but overall car is running excellent and DCT hesitation/shudder issues are almost none existing, replacing the purge valve has improved my mpg aprox. 2-3 mi, acceleration seems smoother, less bog and idle down is better, not hanging.
The oem purge valve only $31 on amazon and diy replacement about 15-20 minutes, several YT videos out there,
I'll be replacing mine every 30k or so, cheap insurance for other major issues, google it.

Later...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
... Is there any reason why 2017-2018s are never mentioned?
With all the negative publicity the Focus (and Fiesta) DCT has gotten for so long I'd be surprised if many people were still unsuspecting enough to continue buying them. The way this site has changed may also discourage some from using it. All these intrusive ads are a nuisance.

Reactions: Pokerrun388

·
Registered
2 Posts
anything happened mechanically. They just pull the clutchpack, send it back to Ford and then put a new one in. I'd love to know what's happening to the "bad" clutchpacks and if they've discovered anything that they're not revealing. The whole issue is frustrating.
The vast majority of warranty parts are scrapped. After the first few years of an issue, only a statistical sampling of the "bad" parts are recovered by Ford to ensure the dealer isn't claiming work that hasn't actually been done.

·
Registered
107 Posts
All DTC clutch's that we take out are throw in the scrap metal pile outside. Ford has not asked for one back in years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does Ford have a fix for this ?
I've been looking for a second car to run around in and take short trips.
Was considering a Focus, or a Fusion.

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
The fix was to quit selling cars. Consider that Ford dumped all DCT here in US as they gave Europe back a true automatic trans over the complaints. Shows you what they think of US buyers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does this affect all years, even the current year ?
I'm assuming it does not cause a problem with the manual transmissions.

thanks

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Does Ford have a fix for this ?
I've been looking for a second car to run around in and take short trips.
Was considering a Focus, or a Fusion.

The information is all over the internet & YouTube about the 2012-2016 Ford Focus dual clutch powershift transmission. Ford screwed thousands of customers into thinking there was a ‘fix’ or telling them nothing was wrong & look how that worked out for Ford? They got themselves into a class action because of the stupid transmission & is the sole reason why the Focus ended production in 2018.

You want a fun car? Buy a Focus ST, Fiesta ST or Fusion Sport. A Focus SE 5 spd in not a fun car. It’s a basic eco box.

·
Registered
107 Posts
More than 1 million Focus were sold in the USA from 2012 through the 2018 model year. Obviously not all of them had the DTC, but most of them did. Most of the ones with the DTC have had no problems. Unfortunately, a significant number of them did, which was the downfall of the car. Out of 1 million, if 25% of them have a problem, that means 250,000 cars, which is a disaster. It completely overshadows the fact that 750,000 car do not have an issue. The ones with the problem, sometimes have had to have repeat repairs, getting the clutch assembly replace 2,3 or even 4 times. On the other hand, I have seen cars with over 175K miles on the original clutch assembly. When you work at a Ford Dealership all you see are the problem cars, so it seems like they all have the problem. Thing is, if your car never has an issue, it never sees the Dealership, so we never see that the majority of these cars are just fine.
When compared to the reliability of the "average" vehicle, it becomes clear that the DTC problem is a massive mistake on Fords part in putting that transmission into production, especially since they knew up front that it was going to be a problem. And that is the real issue here. Thinking that they could just "program" around it and counting on enough of the cars (75% of them) being trouble free to mitigate the cost of dealing with the other 25%.
I was hopeful that Ford had learned their lesson with that fiasco, but it seems that the new Explorer is another example of a vehicle that was rushed to production, damned the consequence's of the car not being properly vetted for public consumption. I am sure the majority of the new Explorers are just fine, but if over 2% of them have problems, then it is going to be a big issue going forward.

Reactions: Arco-Zakus

·
Registered
129 Posts
You want a fun car? Buy a Focus ST, Fiesta ST or Fusion Sport. A Focus SE 5 spd in not a fun car. It’s a basic eco box.
i'd have to disagree 5spd se is a very fun car; no not the fastest in a straight line but that gets boring very fast.

Reactions: Arco-Zakus

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
A Fiesta ST is the funnest of them all.

I know several people have sold their Focus RS for a Fiesta ST.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
A Fiesta ST is the funnest of them all.

I know several people have sold their Focus RS for a Fiesta ST.

If you don’t mind me asking, did they give you any specific reasons for parting ways with their Focus RS? Don’t get me wrong, I’m in love with how the RS looks, but I can’t get over their 35k+ price tags.

I’m a week or two away from needing a car & have seen a few FiST & FoST’s listed & 12-15k less vs. an RS. plus both are much better on gas.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If you don’t mind me asking, did they give you any specific reasons for parting ways with their Focus RS? Don’t get me wrong, I’m in love with how the RS looks, but I can’t get over their 35k+ price tags.

I’m a week or two away from needing a car & have seen a few FiST & FoST’s listed & 12-15k less vs. an RS. plus both are much better on gas.

First off I want to say the Fiesta ST community is full of true car enthusiasts most are not brand loyal and drive what they like. You have guys that have Corvettes and Porsche 911s in their garage, and they also have a Fiesta ST.

The Fiesta ST is a more fun car. It is cheaper much better fuel mileage, and the insurance is also cheaper. The consumables are cheaper that's one of the biggest things especially for people who are into modifications everything is just cheaper.
Your also less likely to get a speeding ticket because it's not as fast.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Have to disagree. It's not a dragster, but my 5spd is fun as hell to drive. It has enough pull in a straight line, and handles great in the corners.

Man, there is no way in hell I'd drop $35K on a Ford Focus.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Have to disagree. It's not a dragster, but my 5spd is fun as hell to drive. It has enough pull in a straight line, and handles great in the corners.

Man, there is no way in hell I'd drop $35K on a Ford Focus.

Well, everyone is different, right? I look at the Civic Type R & I often wonder why anyone would drop 40k on that odd looking thing. But hey, everyone spends their money differently.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts