Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been wanting to do this for a while now, and ive done photoshops, as others have to...

some of you may remember me being pissed of that you cant get these so i finally said enough is enough and i busted out the dremel and made it!

imo its freakin glorious...all i need is to add some trim paint to hide the epoxy and im set!

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,977 Posts
woot didnt notice what was ur point after i saw ur feet!! nice want to know more about it..

what did u use to glue that

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
whered you get the honeycomb mesh to match?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Lol, wow...i'm surprised someone besides myself finally took on such a project ;)

Just sucks that i kinda gave up on it over a year ago since i have other plans in the works. I can't wait to see your finished project :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well to answer some above questions,

i used epoxy...worked perfectly!

i bought another svt focus grille on ebay to get the honey comb...

btw to anyone who does this...the upper grille has a curve to it so i wouldnt recommend using a lower grille or rear diffuser...although the pattern size is the same i dont think its curved like the upper grille

and lets see... its as simple as it sounds, but still hard....

1) dremel out the lights...(since you will have 2 grilles the best thing to do is too take your spare grille, the one you will use for the honeycomb part, and take your time with the dremel figuring out the best way to cut it out...then by the time you get too the grille your going to modify, youll be more intuned with what your doing!

2) use files to file down the excess platic from the stuff you couldnt get too with the dremel...if you do this you'll understand what i mean...

3)carefully start trimming down the honey comb parts to fit into the grille...i just eyeballed it and kept filing off a little at a time untill it just wedged in their...

4) after its wedged in their still up some epoxy and fill in the gaps.
*dont worry about gaps or "mess-ups" if several of the legs arent even touching you can use epoxy to fill in the gap....

5)file down the excess epoxy and re-apply in gaps or voids as necesary

6)file down and re-epoxy untill you get the desired look...

7)get duralast? "TRIM" paint...i think this will be better than just buying black and paint over the epoxy as it will be white...plus you will want to cover up the orange on the grille from portion of the reflector you cut out.

thats pretty much it...i took my time and it took me 3 days...literally...

i got tired of it and finnally just painted it, but i probably should have filed some epoxy bumps down a little more but oh well!

btw...i used a standard bic pen cap to apply the epoxy...worked great!

more pics to come when the paint drys!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha, i though about that after i posted it...i was wearing shorts mind you guys...they just got bunched up when i sat down...

at that point in the day i was so freakin tired i could care less about all you guys seeing my harry ass pale legs!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what is a grille delete?

you mean like get the cfm grille?

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
wow very cool...wanna make me one? [hihi] My stock SVT grille would be a perfect donor as two of the mounting tabs are cacked off hehe....Can't wait to see this on your car!!!

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Whoa! How much do YOU rock?

·
Registered
298 Posts
grille delete is taking the grille off the car. Kind of like on the cobra mustangs and what not... There is some other things you gotta do though to make it not look like ass.

·
Banned
150 Posts
Does anyone know where I could get the lower grille off of the SVT bumper? I have the SVT upper grille already. I just want to modify the lower SVT grill to fit a regular ZX3 bumper with fog lights. Dont want to look stupid with 2 different grilles on my car.

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
i'd like to see a grill delete

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
The SVT lower will fit if you trim it shorter. The dimensions are a bit longer i am getting ready to install mine after paint is done on the car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts