Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've gotten back the focus bug and started modding my car again. I just completed the rear 05 st drum to rotor conversion. Very easy and the difference is quit nice. Next year maybe I'll put the svt brakes on the car.

Anyway decided to mess with my alignment tonight before leaving work. Put the car on the alignment rack and set up a more negative camber with less caster setting. I have the poly bushings on the front control arms rear position so I try a straight ahead toe instead of slightly toed in. It is a street car after all and I don't track it.

What do you think. Anyone out there try different alignment set ups. One after the other.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yea, I've tried a few different spec's. For a DD, I use negative 2 degrees camber in the front w/ zero toe & for the rear, camber is where it falls, since I don't have bolts or arms, so -1.6/-1.7 & use 0.010 toe per side. I've tried zero toe on the rear & wow, hold on not good for a street car, maybe a autox or tight track car. I use rear toe links which make rear toe adjustments a snap. I adjust the rear adjustments 1st & then the front, making sure the s/w is straight. Sometimes I'll drive it around & then back on the rack & reset & adjust a little again. I've came in super early to do at times, helps to have the keys to the shops.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Zero to min. out is good for the front, starting with toe in isn't good for them. (toes in under power)

P.S. - fixed the title, "bum to disc" just didn't sound right (grin)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I've tried a few different spec's. For a DD, I use negative 2 degrees camber in the front w/ zero toe & for the rear, camber is where it falls, since I don't have bolts or arms, so -1.6/-1.7 & use 0.010 toe per side. I've tried zero toe on the rear & wow, hold on not good for a street car, maybe a autox or tight track car. I use rear toe links which make rear toe adjustments a snap. I adjust the rear adjustments 1st & then the front, making sure the s/w is straight. Sometimes I'll drive it around & then back on the rack & reset & adjust a little again. I've came in super early to do at times, helps to have the keys to the shops.
-2.0 degrees is a bit much for my comfort (tread wear). I would definitely go more if tracking. I did purchase the camber arms with my suspension and have the rear camber set to -1.3. I also have just a hint of negative toe in the rear. I love how it's handling now! I think I leave alone for a while.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
-2.0 degrees is a bit much for my comfort (tread wear). I would definitely go more if tracking. I did purchase the camber arms with my suspension and have the rear camber set to -1.3. I also have just a hint of negative toe in the rear. I love how it's handling now! I think I leave alone for a while.
I don't have any weird tire wear issues, just rotate your tires. You'll want positive toe for the street. Zero toe is wow, hold on. Might be good for the track or autoXing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have any weird tire wear issues, just rotate your tires. You'll want positive toe for the street. Zero toe is wow, hold on. Might be good for the track or autoXing.
Yes, I normally would run positive toe. But I put poly bushings in the rear position from control arms and am trying no toe. Car drives straight under power. And turns REALLY nice!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yes, I normally would run positive toe. But I put poly bushings in the rear position from control arms and am trying no toe. Car drives straight under power. And turns REALLY nice!
Yea, it would turn really good w/ no rear toe= like just think about & your in the next lane.

·
Registered
202 Posts
For my DD (04 ZX3, 2.3, manual) I like .-5 camber rear (otherwise too hard on tyres), 0 to .125 toe rear, 0 to .10 front toe, camber as it falls. My work drive is O'shaughnessy to Twin Peaks blvd and down for those who know San Francisco. Nice handling with SVT upgraded suspension and upgraded anti-roll 22mm frnt, 25 mm rear.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Not bad, but look at keeping the front to zero or minimum out.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
For my DD (04 ZX3, 2.3, manual) I like .-5 camber rear (otherwise too hard on tyres), 0 to .125 toe rear, 0 to .10 front toe, camber as it falls. My work drive is O'shaughnessy to Twin Peaks blvd and down for those who know San Francisco. Nice handling with SVT upgraded suspension and upgraded anti-roll 22mm frnt, 25 mm rear.
Thats a chunck of toe for the front^^^^^^^^ Your better off using zero toe for the front.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts