Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a general question about alignment: just how easily will the wheels on the ZX3 go out of alignment? I know this might not be easily answerable due to variances in what one hits over months of driving, but I have an '02 ZX3, and I have occasion to "clip" [?|] my left or right rear tires when entering a bank ATM drive-up or making a right-hand turn (hey, I'm getting older!). Seems I do this when in a hurry, and it comes in spurts, usually right after I have the wheels aligned! Of course it depends on how hard the contact is, but I wondered if some of you with automotive experience could maybe give me some guidance here, particularly relating to these sideways hits against curbs. I'm getting a bit paranoid [paranoid] whenever I pull one of these great driving maneuvers lately and don't want to feel I have to realign every time I whack against the curb! Thanks for any kind words and feedback!

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
A simple bounce (it doesn't take much...even glancing blows like winter slides when on snow and ice) off a curb is enough to change toe in (increase it). A good wack can easily bend tie rods (used to adjust toe on the front). Rears are a little stronger than fronts. Too much toe will often wear you tire faster than camber problems will. With camber problems you can often flip the tire on the wheel and move it to the opposite side of the car (directional tires) and get some additional milage out of the tire. Excess toe causes strange wear (feathering and scalloping of the tread) problems and you often have no choice but to replace the tire. If you're prone to bounce of curbs get alignment checks if you value your tires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts